Alice to the road!!

Technical questions and answers
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Progress so far

Rear axle re-fitted!!

Started on removal of the seat box :?

Once the seat box is out, the engine and gearbox will be coming out. The battery compartment needs some attention as it has a bodged repair to the bottom part!!
More riviet's!!

Repair sections being 'attached' to rear floor, by the time I had finished, I had sore hands and brused knuckles :cry:
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Have now got both front wings off to allow for easier access for welding the footwells, also made engine and gearbox extraction easier.
One of the bellhousing bolts is so corroded that it won't let go!!!! Will have to drill it out to remove the gearbox, which by the way is surpless to requirements!!
The next step is to remove the front axle and see what can be done with the LR parts bin!!!

Wiring loom has been removed as there is some considerable damage to it, so will order a complete new loom from Autosparks (useful people to know, just look up their web site)
Heater fan needs to be replaced along with the wiper motor due to excessive corrosion.
Dash removed and found that the air duct is quite badly corroded, but will have to do for the moment.
Seem's like a never ending job at the mo, everything needs something doing to it!!!
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Alicerover wrote: Seem's like a never ending job at the mo, everything needs something doing to it!!!
Arr the joys of land rover ownership. Don't we just love them- at least it will be worth it in the end :)
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Started to see if their is any truth in any of the rumours about fitting disc brakes to the front axle.

So far, it is looking very very do-able, using the parts from the early 2 door classic RangerRover which has the six bolt flange as opposed to the later seven bolt type.
The RR cv joint WILL FIT the stage 1 half shaft, which was issue no1.
The only issue at the moment is that the position of the flange bolt holes is out buy approx 20 degrees, which would mean re drilling either the axle tube or the swivel ball flange to get the correct castor angle. However, tomorrows job is to see what the difference is between the stage 1 and RRC swivel balls is.
If they are the same (fingers crossed) I should be able to swap the swivel outer housing for the RRC one, ending up with the disc brake setup, meaning that it makes the conversion alot easier, and cheaper!!
What I will do once I am happy that everything is going to fit and not cause any issues, is to start another thread on this topic to include plenty of pics and a 'how to' guide with all the part numbers required and an idea of costings.
Spen
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

After stripping the remainder of the stage 1 and RangeRover axles today, it has become apparent that the axle end flanges are of a different diameter and the internal locating rings are the opposite way round.
So, not quite as easy as first thought, but where there is a will there is a way!!!
Currently looking at a number of solutions, just need to figure out which is the best way to go!
Spen
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

This is getting really interesting. Are you photographing these findings? It would be useful to have them as a record :)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

I have had to have a bit of a re-think re the front axle.
You hear all sorts of myths and rumours about what can be swapped from vehicle to vehicle, and I couldn't see why I couldn't use the LandRover parts bin to end up with a useable axle.
It seems that there is too much of a difference between the Stage1 axle and the RR axle. The only way would have been to chop of the flanges and weld on RR flanges.
Other options were to fit coil sprung axles, which would mean changing the now re-conditioned rear axle and sorting out all the other issues of fitting this type of axle.
Personally, I don't like the look of a series LR on the wider axles.
Have been looking very closely at the Haystee disc conversion, which ends up using Defender calipers and vented discs, which is what I wanted to end up with, so it looks as though I will be going down this route.
I will put up some pics of what I have found so far for reference.
Spen
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

This subject has been covered in great detail before with very little in the way of workable options especially when trying to use the LR parts bin.

I’ve heard a lot of noises about the possibilities of using the Santana or Iveco Massif setup but nothing to suggest it has actually been done on a Stage1.

I do know someone who has fitted the Zeus kit to a Stage1 without issue although he did say that some of the machining left a lot to be desired and that you cannot use the original standard Series wheel rims.

He did however, point out the following:
The Stage1 has an all metric axle unlike the regular Series axles. This doesn’t suit some kits.
You ideally don’t want to use the standard 50/50 master cylinder. A 110/Defender one is preferred although you can use a pressure reducer for the rear brakes.

This subject if possible could do with a decent conclusive and accurate tech file drafted up if anyone is interested in taking on the role.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

the ex army stage 1's here in nz have discs on the front, my one using wilwood calipers. these are cheap to buy and are readily available. not sure what you would need to do to get them to fit- help me out here alan....
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

That is by no means standard. I know some army mechanics did "modifications" at different times, mainly to test things out. The standard fitment are the Stage 1 drums. If yours has disks then you can trust there will have been non-standard modifications made to get them to work. Is there a certification plate on your firewall? There should be (needs to be).
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Has been a little while since I was on here last due to work etc getting in the way of progress!!
With a bit of luck (fingers crossed) I should get a parcel with some exciting new bits to fit to Alice, and will hopefully, sort out my front axle issues.
I have purchased a disc brake conversion kit that uses the Defender brake set up. As soon as the bits arrive I will put up some pics.
Looking forward to making some progress again!!
Spen
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

disco2hse wrote:That is by no means standard. I know some army mechanics did "modifications" at different times, mainly to test things out. The standard fitment are the Stage 1 drums. If yours has disks then you can trust there will have been non-standard modifications made to get them to work. Is there a certification plate on your firewall? There should be (needs to be).
Doesn't need to be, unless you get sprung. Mine had willwood callipers too, and flew through warrants without issue. :wink:

Oh, and my willwood brakes weren't any better than std stage 1 brakes, until I put in an early 110 bias valve. Then it stopped like no other landrover I've ever driven!
Stop Global Whining.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Update on the front axle.
Ordered parts 6 weeks ago now from Heystee Engineering. No sign of them, despite numerous e-mails asking when they will be shipped.
Fobbed of with various excuses so I asked for my money back. Paid via PayPal, had a message from them saying that there was insufficient funds to make a refund. Great! No money and no parts!! and Alice going nowhere fast :evil:
So I am now back to square one, and looking for two new swivel balls, one cv joint, a pair of back plates, a pair of drums etc.
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

What a nightmare – where does this company reside?

Out of interest – how do you know that their swivel housings fit the Stage1 axle?
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Greenmobile

Post by Greenmobile »

What a bummer! Aren't they based in Holland?

Hope you get it sorted.