Intermittent wiper modifications?

Technical questions and answers
DPuckey

Intermittent wiper modifications?

Post by DPuckey »

As we all know the standard series 3 wipers have just slow and fast speeds, is there any way to easily get an intermittent setting which would be very useful for when it's raining a little?
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I'm quite happy with two speeds. It's certainly better than no self park and separate wiper motors or a single manual wiper system.

There is NO easy way to do what you have asked! However the most logical way that won't result in butchery is to read the workshop manual for 90/110. The hardest part is finding a suitable switch and somewhere on the dash to fit it.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

13 or 14 years ago I purchased 2 such switches from an outfit called I.H. Marketing (probably one man) in Leeds for just under £25 each. They were making them specially for Series Land-Rovers and advertising them in Land-Rover World magazine at the time. The first one I fitted didn't work but they replaced it promptly with one that did. They came with wiring instructions for fitting to a Series 3 and had 3 intermittent speed settings and worked in conjunction with the original wiper switch rather than replacing it. They worked fairly well but the one I fitted to my 1975 Series 3 finally packed up a few years ago and I was unable to repair it. The one I fitted to my Stage 1 is still working well. I have no idea if they are still making them - probably not, as a quick google search turned up nothing, but the address was P.O. Box CR31, Leeds LS7 4YA and the phone number 0113 2938712. I had no great difficulty wiring them in and managed to attach the unit to the side of the instrument panel without drilling a single hole in it.

[img][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6575 ... 8f28_m.jpg[/img]
Intermittent wiper unit by Geoff172, on Flickr[/img]

map1275 may be quite happy with 2 speeds, but perhaps in Australia it either rains or shines; here in Blighty it endlessly drizzles - I wouldn't mind getting another such switch if I could find one because I'm already sick of endllessly switching the wipers on and off on my recently acquired second Stage 1. I see no reason why a similar switch from just about any vehicle could not be wired in in the way the one I bought was by someone with some electrical skill providing a suitable housing for the switch was devised. The best I ever came across was in my wife's Ford Mondeo, which had about 14 positions which I could play with happily while the car drove itself!
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

The present switch is four way, isn't it? Off, slow, fast, dwell.

Now, I just suck when it comes to electricals.

Just thinking here, if you have a timer circuit thingy and a five way switch, you could have the timer circuit on one of the switch settings: off, intermittent, slow, fast, dwell. Pretty sure the wipers in 70's model Leyland cars all had these, so the wiring must be available.

The present circuit is not that hard to think through, so adding the extra would not be that hard either. I had to replace the bakelite switch in mine and just a four way wiper and at the same time replace the bushes and armature in the wiper motor. Adding the additional, or replacing the circuitry would not be that hard.

Mostly when it drizzles I just leave the wiper on.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Sorry, what is this 'dwell'?

Should it assist in any way, this is how the unit I purchased is wired in:

It has 6 wires, one connected direct to the 12V supply that is live only when the ignition is on (with a 100MA inline fuse to protect the unit), another connected direct to a good earth point, a third and fourth which are connected respectively to the end of the wire controlling the self parking and the connection on the original switch to which that wire was previously connected, thus routing the self parking circuit through the new switch also, a fifth wire connected to the main power feed supplying the original switch, and lastly a sixth connected to the slow or first speed feed wire which is live when the wipers are switched to the first speed.

With this set up, with the switch I have, the new switch works not so much in conjunction with the original, as I said before, but independently of it, i.e. if you want any of the intermittent settings, you use the new switch and if you want either of the original speeds, you use the original switch - if both switches are on, the original switch takes precedence. It certainly does not replace the original switch - this has the advantage that, should it malfunction, as one of mine has, it will not upset the operation of the original switch.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Dwell is a circuit that sends the wiper motor back to its starting position when you switch off. It is a separate circuit to the two speed circuits.

Six wires sounds right, five circuit wires and one earth. Five way switch gives you six wires.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Self park isn't a 'switch position' as you described it.

What most of you seem to have missed is that if you read the workshop manual for 90/110 you don't even have to think, just adapt to your existing system. The switch and location becomes the only issue.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

It is not a switch position, but it is referred to in the number of positions. Off, slow, fast, is not a three way switch, it is bought as a four way switch. That is what I have been saying. I did not say it was a switch position. :)

This guy seems to express it better:

http://spriteclub.com/tech/wipers.htm

What about something like this for intermittent control:

http://www.hella.co.nz/3-269-503/produc ... ---12-Volt

Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

you could be onto it there allan
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I vaguely remember having a similar one in an Austin Morris Leyland Marina van in about 1977. But it only lasted six months, so I could be wrong :lol:
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5