Correct oils in the right places

Technical questions and answers
djrr6

Correct oils in the right places

Post by djrr6 »

I apologise if this has all been asked before however i am getting told various options for oils and thought id ask proper owners rather than people who think they know stage 1's

I have been told to put 20/50 in the engine and the gearbox and EP90 in the overdrive, transfer box and diff's?!?!?

i have however been told ep90 for the gearbox, dont touch the over drive and the transfer box can take engine oil as well?

all help greatly appreciatted as winter is here and time to get it topped up before the snow

thanks

DR
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Yes you are correct, this has been asked before.

The usual response is to read your owners handbook and follow it exactly. I severly doubt that any of the people giving you "advice" on mixing oils are actually willing to put their money up front and warranty their home brew DIY changes.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Just to reinforce this, heavy oil in the gearbox is generally not a good idea if you want it to last. Sure it may be quiet for a while, until it goes really, really quiet.

There are a number of threads on this site that ask the same question, plus many other forums. Much that has been said is speculative and not to be trusted. In the end, RTM.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
sebking

manual

Post by sebking »

1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
djrr6

Post by djrr6 »

thanks all and yes i have seen the other threads and seen the advice which is why i thought wise to ask what actual owners were using as nothing beats experience,

i aim to stick to using the engine oil as it says in the manual and need to keep it going over the next few months then over haul it anyway.

still suffer from low oil pressure when its warm which is a concern however i am going to change the pcv valve on the filter along with the oil this weekend if the snow holds off
firemanshort

Keep 50w in transmission

Post by firemanshort »

I mistakenly put 90w in my gearbox when I first got my truck.

(I took it to the local Jiffy-Lube the first day I had it and I said replace all fluids.)

It turns out that the factory manual says put 50W in the transmission and I discovered that on cold days, the 90w made the gearbox a real biatch to shift.

I do not think I did any real harm to the steel with the heavier oil - it was just simply hard to use.

I have been very happy since switching to 50W.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
djrr6

Post by djrr6 »

thanks for advice firemanshort and i aim to put the 50w in this weekend when hoefuly it stops snowing and i can feel my fingers to change the PCV valve at the same time.

new doors went on last weekend so at least its dry inside the truck for the first time on a long time!