snorkels

Technical questions and answers
noexitroad

snorkels

Post by noexitroad »

has anybody fitted a snorkel to their stage 1, and if so how did they do it....a homemade job or something from a retailer?? it looks to me that i could shift the heater blower a bit to gain entry to the engine bay but was hoping to not need the air filter i have as it is big and bulky so was hoping to discard it to put a compressor in that spot instead. any ideas???
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

l have a Southdown 4x4 snorkle. its not fitted so no photos yet.
it will be fitted down the RHS of the screen.
l have some flexi hose (e-bay special) in blue that will link under the brake master cylinder and connect into the original black air box.

l have decided to keep the air box as its the easy way of making it all air tight and keeping the filters in.
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

when i had my stage one i was looking at throwing a discovery filter box setup in it. just a bit smaller and think they are an inline setup which will be good for piping between the snorkel and the carb setup. you might be able to approach an engineering firm and get a bit of a quote for a steel one. I have a powder coated snorkel on a nissan safari but have seen a few stainless ones around that look really good. go for at least 3inch diametre tubbing, dont do pvc down pipes from houses, may function ok but have seen them shatter easily after fighting branches (although a cheap option)
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
sebking

Dizzy

Post by sebking »

How are you waterproofing the dizzy?
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

i haven't thought about the dizzy yet, being an ex-army they did a waterproof unit including leads i believe, but mine is all standard. it is 24 volt and they have an electronic module which is located quite low down behind the radiator on the passenger side also. i believe a modification to a mallory electronic unit is a good option but this will cost some coinage and i have not looked into it properly yet.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Your dizzy will be either the Mallory Unilite or the marine version. Only the marine version is waterproof.

It is likely your army electronics will fail and there is no point in trying to keep them functional. Basically they are a voltage reducer, voltage filter, and ballast. I would suggest replacing it now with a Pertronix Flamethrower coil and ignitor (there are other threads here that deal with the two most successful transitions, I have tried both). Both replacement options work seamlessly with the Mallory gear and are pretty robust. I draw from one 12V battery and have a heavy duty charge balancer between the two batteries. A more waterproof option may be to go fully electronic and replace the dizzy entirely.

With the snorkel, you can fit a flexible 100mm(?) tube onto the air filter inlet but the air filter drain will probably be perished and need replacing. You can run the tube through the guard or cut a u-shaped hole from the bonnet.

Have a look through Stirling's long thread. Early on he fitted a snorkle that seemed to work quite well.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5