Diesel Stage 1's

Technical questions and answers

Diesel Stage 1's

Post by 5988 »

At the risk of upsetting purists,

Anyone own a stage 1 converted to diesel power ...
if so what engine are you using, and how do you find it

I'm considering diesel power instead of the V8 as my project is at rolling chassis stage, so easy to swap, and in reality once its done im just not going to use it doing 15mpg, its just to expensive now (when I started the project fuel was 85ppl, its now 132ppl ), If the V8 stays I think it will be lucky to do more than a thousand miles a year,

LPG is a no go, due to the space it takes up and the awkwardness of planning fill ups, plus I intend to use this for long distance stuff (around Europe, and hopefully eventually further afield), so need to be able to carry fuel (ive got LPG on my S2 so am aware of its problems and benefits anyway)

The most obvious would be the TDi with adapter to the LT95, but im not a fna of having to keep revving it for power, a big torquey engine would be more suitable in my view
Otherwise what about the Perkins 4.236 ....big, heavy, slow revving, but massive torque, any others people can think of? or anyone have experience of any

I know I could sell it and buy a Defender ... but that would involve losing allot after a nut and bolt rebuild, and having a vehicle that for the money would still need quite a bit of work
Matt Braddish

Post by Matt Braddish »

Here's a starter on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Perkins-4236-engi ... 3f088bac6a
Its always a risk though that you are buying a load of scrap as someone on here found out last month with their replacement V8.
Matt B

Post by 5988 »

Question is, is the 4236 any good
Im getting very mixed pinions on it, from horrible, don't go near to brilliant ... would be nice if someone has one in a stage 1 and can comment
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Check out the postings in this forum, quite a few are Stage 1's and were converted from new:

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/isuzu-landy-e ... s-section/

Check out this forum too. Quite a few makes and models plus LRs and Stage 1's throughout.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I had heard from an ex dealer of a few after sales engine swaps (Buick - Isuzu). However, as with the factory fit arrangement it's a chassis chop to fit. Also, price didn't appear to be a problem for the owners and the dealership weren't doing poverty jobs, all new parts!

If you spend a lot of time on the AURLO forum you can eventually filter out what you need and how to do it correctly. Or more accurately what you don't need. However in most cases it's the same problems from the same type of owners putting in no planning. Usually this starts with the owner doing No research and going out and buying the cheapest Isuzu engine, then realising afterwards that it would have been cheaper to buy the right (dearer) engine from the start.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Very sage advice!
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Matt Braddish wrote: Its always a risk though that you are buying a load of scrap as someone on here found out last month with their replacement V8.
That would be me. Garage sold me a corpse but they were good enough to admit their messtake and took it back off me. I have been very lucky to get a much cleaner engine from Seb on here.
My mate has a Perkins 3.3D in his 88" S111. It is a great engine. Would probably run on brick dust if it had to. It is a noisy engine thou, we have put rangie diffs in to help. Enough torque to pull the side of your house down. It's a great simple engine - proper tractor like but a shame it's a little poorly at the mo.
This post is prob no use to you but thought l would like to comment. Ironman training is very boring- especially when your sitting on a trainer for hours in the evening
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

So long as the trainer doesn't mind, although it might get a little uncomfortable for him/her.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Maybe this is why Isuzu owners don't listen to any truths about their motors - they've all gone deaf from the noise!

Post by 5988 »

just to update this,
the conclusion Ive reached is that if I go diesel it will be the Isuzu 4Bd1 engine, if it was good enouhg as a new option in Aus then it will be good enough here, + standard parts should be arround somewhere :wink:
though many on other forums do have a valid point of why not just buy a diesel 110 ... so the stage 1 may get finished and just drive to the odd show, and use a diesel 110 for the work, I had got the stage 1 for
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Well it's obviously up to you but have worked on far too many Isuzu powered 110s and having dealt with some of the owners and would-be converters, it would be my absolute last choice.

I've just spent the week driving the current V6 diesel Gelanderwagen. It has some problems but does get up and go.

Post by 5988 »

just the noise you've mentioned here, or other problems? :wink:
map1275

Post by map1275 »

All their problems are well document;

Drive-by noise
cabin noise
vibrations
clutch slip
rear main seal leaks...

Post by 5988 »

cheers,
will do some more digging on those
noise not an issue, sound proofing can cure that
vibrations ... its a 3.9 4cyl diesel, that's pretty much going to happen, whatever engine of that size (unless it runs balancer shafts ... very few do)
Clutch and crank seals ... could be a pain ... will investigate more now I know what im looking for
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Unless you are deaf, noise is an issue. The Army has required hearing protection to be worn for the last few years in sustained speed situations.

Vibration literally shakes the vehicle apart, including the LT95.