Restauration Pictures Update 13/05/2011

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Chris_G

Restauration Pictures Update 13/05/2011

Post by Chris_G »

Hi guys, just posting some pics of my Stage One project I started last year in Octobre.
Yesterday my chassis arrived from the galvanising company and it looks very good. Now I can start to rebuild everything again.
The axles are almost finished, I put all new seals, bearings, bushes and greased everything. Installed new brake linings etc.

About the chassis, I wil put some extra wax inside and the outside gets another 2 coats of 2 component epoxy paint, just to make sure the rust cant do any harm to it.
Hope you all like the pictures.

Cheers
Christophe
Last edited by Chris_G on Fri May 13, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 Series 3 88" 2.25 Diesel
1981 Series 3 109" Stage One V8
2008 Defender 90
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Good effort. Welcome to forum Please keep us updated with pictures, makes what l am doing with my stage 1 look like just a wash.
If you don't mind me asking- was it expensive having the chassis and bulkhead galv'd?
Regards
Harry potter
Chris_G

Post by Chris_G »

From now on I will keep you updated with pictures. Hope to have a rolling chassis again within a few weeks.
The galvanising for chassis and bulkhead was 200 Euro, what I think is a very good price. For this project I only want the best of the best, really want a 'new' car when it's finished.
2008 Defender 90
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I am not certain that putting epoxy or wax over the galvanising is the best idea. Perhaps someone can correct me, but I always thought that the purpose of the zinc coating was for it to establish an oxidised layer, and it is that which protects the ferrous metal. Coating the zinc with a non-permeable compound would prevent it from working correctly. Of course coating with epoxy or wax would prevent rust, etc. but what's the point? That's what the galvanising is for.

Anyway, that front axle looks great and the shiny bits look totally bling :)

Looking forward to the coming photos.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

Id just paint it black as plan galv looks very wrong

the zinc will still work if the paint is damaged and inside the chassis, the paint just adds another layer of protection 8)
Chris_G

Post by Chris_G »

5988 wrote:Id just paint it black as plan galv looks very wrong

the zinc will still work if the paint is damaged and inside the chassis, the paint just adds another layer of protection 8)
Yeah, thats also what the people at the belgian leafers forum told me.
2008 Defender 90
Chris_G

Post by Chris_G »

Hi guys,
Had a nice weekend with a lot of sun and good temperatures to work on my project. Started saturday morning with the preparation of the galvanised chassis for painting. Also covered some parts of the axles to paint the wheel hubs.

Started the painting aroud noon

The results

Started sunday morning with putting back together the parabolic springs, the axles and shock absorbers. Also mounted the fuel tank.

At this moment I'm having a rolling chassis again. After all this work I also started taking apart the gearbox. All the gaskets will be renewed and all the parts will be inspected for wear. At first sight gearbox looks fine.

That's it for this weekend, will keep you posted as soon as I have some new pics and new work done.

Regards Christophe
2008 Defender 90
Chris_G

Post by Chris_G »

Finally found some time to post some pics of all the work I did in the last few weeks. Had some sort of a bad start this week, on monday I trashed the rear differential of my Defender 90 and on tuesday I got my right foot broken :( .

Now I also can't work on my stage one and thats the thing I hate the most! Sitting inside when the weather is nice isn't my thing.

The progress I made is that the gearbox is almost complete, I changed all the gaskets and now I only have to put new oil seals on both output shafts and put the handbrake back together.

The wheather was also good so I decided to give the bulkhead it's first layer of 2 component epoxy paint. Before I painted I put special silicone between all the seams. Just to make sure every hole is closed and no water can come in. Also had to fix some minor dents in the visible parts of the bulkhead.

This is how it looks finished (only have to paint it in Masai Red but will do everything at the same time so the color will be the same.

Also started taking the engine apart to check all the parts for wear.
Maybe somebody has a trick to loosen the bolts from the exhaust pipe to where the exhaust meets the exhaust manifold whithout breakin them. I already cut off the exhaust pipe so now i have only a small piece left.

Some pictures

Can't wait for the comments on the pictures!
Cheers

Christophe
2008 Defender 90
hundertneuner

Post by hundertneuner »

Nice job!

May u post a pic of your exhaust? It may help us to identify your problem- or do you mean the studs of the manifold?

Cheers
Sascha
firemanshort

Body puty on Zinc

Post by firemanshort »

I would love to get another look at that bulkhead in 5+ years. I have no idea how well the body putty will stick to the galvy.

Keep the photos coming....
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Chris_G

Post by Chris_G »

I would love to get another look at that bulkhead in 5+ years. I have no idea how well the body putty will stick to the galvy.
All the paint and other stuff for the body protection comes from the company where my neighbor works. It's an professional paint store and I'm sure if he gives this to me it WILL stick to the galv.
2008 Defender 90
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

So long as it's had etch primer and a primer undercoat it should be fine.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
88 stage1

Post by 88 stage1 »

Any more progress? chris