300tdi defender bulkhead to stage 1 v8

Technical questions and answers
v8farmer

300tdi defender bulkhead to stage 1 v8

Post by v8farmer »

Hi, i have just got a defender tdi bulkhead to fit to my stage 1 v8 and im just looking for some advice on how to do it?
i know the tunnel will need replacing from the old bulkhead and the windshield mounts, but what else will i need to do before i can fit it. also can i take the old bulkhead out without taking the roof off? whats the best way to do it?
any help would be appreciated thanks.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Steering and heating holes. The correct part is ambidextrous. The TDI part is probably handed.

The brackets for 110 inner wings will probably need removal as with the column support bracket inside the cabin.

Although I've contemplated the same job myself, it really is easier with the right part.

I don't know that the tunnel needs changing. I would read both parts books! At worst, it should only be the mounting lip panel.
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Not a straight forward conversion but no doubt very possible.

Perhaps speak to Glencoyne Engineering as they seem to know their onions on bulkhead repairs.

http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/bulkhead.htm
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
redtailhawk

Post by redtailhawk »

Hi
I have just done this job with a td5 bulkhead for my stage 1 stationwagon
These are the bits that you need from your old bulkheadoff top of my head-
Windscreen hinges
Tunnel
Front wing support brackets
Chassis and earth I'd plates
Mesh vent flap guards
What I did is put new series 3 Footwells in as defender one are deeper. The wing support brackets I used rivet nuts as td5 bulkhead is fully closed in so can't use backing plates off old bulkhead alsos rain gutter on td5 was longer I took old out and fitted new bullhead in with out taking roof off
I am now in process of putting everything back after I have fitted new column and power steering
Darren
1981 Stage 1 SW
If it's not broken don't try to fix it