Oil coolers

Technical questions and answers
primsil

Oil coolers

Post by primsil »

were these an option on civilian stage 1s, or only on military vehicles? Looking at most stage1 pics it seems that not many have them. Are they neccessary, and do they have any disadvantages, like lower oil pressure?
1985 110, 3.9 auto
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Oil coolers are great if you do a lot of low speed work i.e. offroad!

You need to make sure that the oil isnt over cooled so its advisable to fit an oilstat that only allows oil to go to the cooler after reaching full temp. I have a cooler fitted to my 88" 2.5D with an oilstat in the filter housing. The MOD series landies that had the oil coolers fitted, usually radio wagons that would sit for hours with the engine running to charge the batteries, didnt have oil stats fitted so the oil went through the cooler all of the time. These vehicles are very over cooled and can lead to premature engine wear as the oil never reaches the correct temp.

Fitting a decent oil cooler with the correct size of pipe work to a V8 shouldnt effect the oil preasure as it a low preasure / high volume engine.

I am thinking of fitting one to mine as I may be going back to the Sahara in October.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Its explained quite well here

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
primsil

Post by primsil »

Thanks for that. I think all the army stage1s here had coolers, I have a couple of them spare and one on my vehicle, I just noticed that other stage1s didnt have the smaller grille under the rad grille.
1985 110, 3.9 auto