oils

Technical questions and answers
Andy

oils

Post by Andy »

Hi, have a manual for my stage 1 but suggests I use correct oils but has no literature as to what oils to use. With your help have covered engine, diff and gear oils but now need to replace oil in the steering box, steering relay and front wheel drive universal joint and swivel pins. If your response is check the manual please DON'T BOTHER, I'm looking for a response which will give direction as to what oil to use. Manuals were written years ago and oils have progressed. Thanks
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I suggest you read the manual again. Traditional oil classifications haven't changed and if the manual is complete, it will cover the components you are after.

As per when you asked about your other oils, I'm not willing to go into the countless different options of gear oil available today. However the oils listed in every Factory manual from 1948> are still relevant and still available.

If you want to second guess what Rover advise, then take your chances and wear the consequences.

Rather odd that the NZDF didn't come up with anything new.

Post by 5988 »

Relay - EP90
Swivels - EP90
Steering Box - EP90
(did i miss any?)
(Best stick to GL4 rather than GL5 ..the latter can in some cases corrode yellow metals - if you want to use GL5 I suggest you ask the manufacturer of the oils tech support on this, as many are ok to use)

^^ is based on them being essential identical parts to the older LR's (ewith the exception of CV joints not UJ's) for which those lubricants are used. I have therefore used them in my stage 1, (though its not yet on the road)
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

5988 wrote:Relay - EP90
Swivels - EP90
Steering Box - EP90
(did i miss any?)
Front and rear diff - EP90
A good quality grease in universals.

And at the risk of promoting old oils (which is kind of weird considering how long they were in the making ;) ) look at pages 12-13 here http://www.landroverv8.com/manuals/seri ... lement.pdf

Last I looked I could still get pretty much most of them.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5