not started in bout 6 years

Technical questions and answers
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Your batteries are probably stuffed. Did you check that they had elctrolyte in them before charging? They may have boiled dry.

If their voltage had dropped below 50% then they will need replacing. You could take them to a battery place and have them stress tested.

If you get the engine started grease all the grease nipples and check the condition of the gearbox, transfer case, and diff oils before heading off out on the road. And make certain you have brakes and a clutch to. Check the brake and clutch fluid levels and the condition of the fluid.

Affix a large grin to your face before entering the street.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Not sure where this second battery has come into play?

There should only be one, truck battery, completely filling the hole under the driver's seat.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

If battery has sat for 6 years then it will be scrap, wishful thinking won't change matters.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

If you connect the charger to the vehicle's battery cables then the charger is filling the role of the battery. Hence dash lights come on.

The charger won't be able to produce enough current flow to crank the motor but it will allow you to check everything else; lights, fuel pump, coil...

If you turn the key to crank, all that will happen is the starter relay should be heard to 'click' once.
alex9588

Post by alex9588 »

both batteries are in paraell with each other they came off diesel generators at my dads work goin to have a play about and see what i can find.when i have charger connected and turn the key i do not only get one click i get many in quick repitition
if it aint broken leave it alone.
if it aint a v8 beware

Post by 5988 »

alex9588 wrote:both batteries are in paraell with each other they came off diesel generators at my dads work goin to have a play about and see what i can find.when i have charger connected and turn the key i do not only get one click i get many in quick repitition
The many clicks usual when there isnt enough power for the starter
You have enough Voltage to engage the starter, which then goes away when it tries to turn so it disengages, so you have voltage again and it repeats, which supports what is said abov about the charger not having the power to start it
map1275

Post by map1275 »

So the charger is doing all the work.

If the other batteries are OK, you may have a simple connection problem between them and the vehicle.
alex9588

Post by alex9588 »

have just went and bought a new battery put it on and the blue beast started straight away no farting about.shes running a bit lumpy but thats due to sparks plugs needing done so going to do that shortly.thanks for all your help and no doubt will need a hand in the close future as next challenge is the brake wheell cyclinders when they arrive tomorow.will keep you all up dated on progress and follow forum closely as it is a great help and thank you all for the warm welcome.
if it aint a v8 beware
alex9588

Post by alex9588 »

have changed spark plugs and done a small strip down on carbs put oil in the lifters on carb tops she now runs aweatly and has the v8 rumble.
if it aint a v8 beware
alex9588

Post by alex9588 »

ok did run sweetly av hit a new problem now it wont rev up when i depress the throttle peddle have put new distributor cap and leads on but not sure if it is firing on all 8 cyclinders :?
if it aint a v8 beware

Post by 5988 »

Well its progress
What happens when you press the throttle -
Cuts out? Misses then picks up? will it rev if you slowly open the throttle

Things to check
-unscrew the plungers in the carb dahspots free? - have the right oil in them?
-Carb diaphram could be split if there old (common stromberg problem anyway)

To tell if all cyls are firing
Take the plug leads off one at once - if you find one where the noise doesnt change when you take it off then that cyl isn't firing (be careful with them, if your leads are old or have damaged insulation it will electrocute you...... it hurts ....allot, so use so pliers or something else insulated)
alex9588

Post by alex9588 »

have the lightest oil possible in them which was 3in1 oil which is what my old man told me to use.she revs a little bit when peddle goes to floor but doesnt roar like she should at idle can feel a mis fire.is it possible tht if i have mixed up two leads and got them the wrong way round will she still run?? looking at v8 suppliment at firing order its no well described either tht or im just stupid.carb diaphrams look ok had them off today will double check them incase i have twisted one.have lost day light now so all suggestions will be tried tomorrow 7.30am start yet again i want her running before i go back to work lol
if it aint a v8 beware

Post by 5988 »

Quite possible to mix the leads up
A V8 will idle happily on 4 cyls so you could have done that

Points etc ok?
sounds like your getting a very weak mixture when accelerating - which on a normal carb would be accelerator pump or jet , but don't know what in a Stromberg makes it richer when you rev it

ID try find which cyls arent firing , or if its moving about which ones arent firing
alex9588

Post by alex9588 »

fuck fuckity fuck lol.time to concentrate on v8 suppliment to try and understand it then lol.when u say stomberg i have twin zenniths on mine dont know if thats the same.do u know cyclinder positions as if u were in drivers seat lookin forwar on the left hand bank is it 1,3,5,7 and on the right 2,4,6,8??
if it aint a v8 beware

Post by 5988 »

Solex/Stromberg/Zenith - seen them badged as all three (i have 1 solex and one zenith :? )
Thought will soon be a pair of SU's 8)
Same thing, different names cast into them (Zeniths were the original i think, but depending on age they were made they can be any of those three)
The cylinder possitions
Ill look at the diagram later, but from memory the front of the Lh bank is 1 and the front of the Rh bank is 2 ...and so on
(left and right in Lr manuals are always from the drivers seat )
ill check that thought

V8 ignition systems arent fun....there worse on RRc's though :twisted: