not started in bout 6 years

Technical questions and answers
alex9588

not started in bout 6 years

Post by alex9588 »

hi i have recently bought my stage 1 v8 and it hasnt been started for a few years what do i need to do apart from charge batteries and change the oil any input would be grateful.reason for asking am 21 years old and havent worked on something older than me.thanks alex

Post by 5988 »

I would (and do) the following

New oil and filter
Remove spark plugs and turn over by hand (check nothing is stuck), socket on the crank nut if you haven't got a crank handle (ensuring its not in gear :shock: )
Check is has coolant
Fresh petrol - your chances of getting it going on the stale sludgy stuff in there after that long are low ... (if it smells like petrol in the tank id give it a go), if it smells horrible then drain it, and change the fuel filter as well and put fresh fuel in
Check the carb dashpots (little black screw caps on the top) have oil (if not it will run horribly) ...will still run though

Then give it a go
landiman

Post by landiman »

Hi there, Well mine hadn't been running for about 8 years when i brought it last year.
1. Check condition of fuel tank and if good add some fresh fuel( mine had a rotten tank)
2. Check condition and gaps of Plugs & Points if in doubt change them
(along with the condenser)
3. Check or renew the fuel filters/ air filters
4. might also pay to strip the carbs down & inspect/clean them (mine were full of sand).
Once you're happy with what you've done, have a go at starting it.........
Believe me when you hear it fire up you'll be well chuffed
Rob :D
http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab66 ... an/Series/
Series 3 stage 1 109( now off to usa)
landiman

Post by landiman »

You beat me to it 5988 :D
http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab66 ... an/Series/
Series 3 stage 1 109( now off to usa)
alex9588

Post by alex9588 »

thanks done most of that already.handy thing is i know most of history as i bought it off my dad and he owned it for 15 years.is it worth stripping the starter solenoid as i have heard they can corode between the contacts???all help is much apreciated.

p/s sorry for spelling was never my strong point lol :D
if it aint broken leave it alone.
if it aint a v8 beware

Post by 5988 »

I wouldnt bother if it works , getting the starter off doesnt look hard if you ever need to
p/s sorry for spelling was never my strong point
[quote/]
Nor mine, as youll notice from my posts
alex9588

Post by alex9588 »

i looked at it this afternoon and think am just gonna wait and see it it works looks a bit tight with the heat exchanger (silver metal plate with mushroom)next to it.am just waiting on batteries charging hopefully get her started tomoorow phoning paddock first thing for parts thats needed unless you know of a better/cheaper supplier??
if it aint a v8 beware
map1275

Post by map1275 »

You will regret stripping the starter solenoid. If it sticks then tap it with a hammer. Otherwise the correct starter is waterproofed and can be a bugger to reseal unless you are performing a complete rebuild with a new seal kit.

Post by 5988 »

Depends what you need
The best supplier for stage 1 bits ive found is P.A Blanchards , allot of people don't seem to have the stage 1 specific bits
Paddocks are generaly the cheapest ive found for basic, generic parts

Beware cheap parts .....there not always worth it ....

how about an introduction post with some pic of the stage 1 ?
map1275

Post by map1275 »

With the exception of the air filter, everything else is pretty generic. Considering you'll be up for 30 odd litres of fluids, try your local auto store for all the service items.
alex9588

Post by alex9588 »

i tried to post a pic but wouldnt let me cause the file is to big help with this would be handy aswell lol.if you are on facebook add me on there and look alex roy am on just now
if it aint a v8 beware

Post by 5988 »

alex9588 wrote:i tried to post a pic but wouldnt let me cause the file is to big help with this would be handy aswell lol.if you are on facebook add me on there and look alex roy am on just now
There appears to be lots of alex roy's on there
my email is althorpeal@Aol.com ...should find me then

to post pics

I host mine on photobucket (its free...there are better ones though)
then once your pic is uploaded there simply copy the IMG line of text into the post

as below (if you quote my post you should be able to see the image line , begins Image

Post by 5988 »

map1275 wrote:You will regret stripping the starter solenoid. If it sticks then tap it with a hammer. Otherwise the correct starter is waterproofed and can be a bugger to reseal unless you are performing a complete rebuild with a new seal kit.
do you know if thats true of the RRC ones as well ?
alex9588

Post by alex9588 »

ok new problem according to my battery charger both batteries are now charged but when connected back to car i get no ignition lights when i put carger on battery when they are connected i get ignition lights...has me mega confused now.anyone have any ideas??
if it aint a v8 beware

Post by 5988 »

alex9588 wrote:ok new problem according to my battery charger both batteries are now charged but when connected back to car i get no ignition lights when i put carger on battery when they are connected i get ignition lights...has me mega confused now.anyone have any ideas??
Not good with electrics ....someone else can probably be more help but for no

Is the battery actually charged, what voltage you got across it

I would guess at the battery if its been stood flat for 6yrs isnt actually being charged
Have you got another battery you can swap onto it to test if its battery or vehicle issue