Oils

Technical questions and answers
Andy

Oils

Post by Andy »

Hi, I am re-building a 1980 stage 1 5 door. I am replacing the gearbox, transfer box and diff oils. What is the best oil to use? Can I use Castrol EPX 80-90 in the gearbox, transfer box as well as the diffs? Need some help from someone technical and in the know. Want to reduce noise and ware. Thanks and happy new year to you all, Andy
djam1

Post by djam1 »

Dont use the same oil in the gearbox and transfer as you use in the diffs it will damage both units.
The correct oil for the gearbox and transfer is 20-50 Engine oil some say that you can use modern gearbox oil and this is true but I find the original engine oil the best
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Just follow the handbook and don't over complicate the issue. But do actually change the oil when it's recommended (if not sooner) like so many owners. Otherwise you will get into trouble.
Jamie_grieve

Post by Jamie_grieve »

Just to hammer home what the guys have already said: read the manual and use engine oil. The LT95 is basicaly a strong unit but has plasic bearing cages and plastic elements in the oil pump which are not designed to pump gear oil. Most gearboxes don't have oil pumps in them and rely on splash lubrication. As do many LT95's because people put gear oil n them and the pump breaks and splash lubrication is all that's left. They do last a while before they self destruct though.
Andy

Oils

Post by Andy »

So, can you guys please tell me which oil to use in the gearbox, transfer and diffs as I don't have a hand book. The vehicle is a V8 Stage 1 5 door 1980 or give me a link to download the hand book. Thanks for the help.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

To use the Army ditty;

North South parts take engine oil.
East West parts take gear oil.

So:
engine oil in engine, gearbox and transfer case.
gear oil in hubs and axles

I am not going anywhere near the discussion on the infinite array of various oils presently available and all their minor differences. Hence, read your handbook, as virtually all the original fluids are still available.

Handbooks are readily available as new reprints. Otherwise a selection of used still pop up on e-bay.

Otherwise this site offers the workshop manual which covers servicing and operator maintenance.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5