Engine wiring - please help

Technical questions and answers
Buckenham

Engine wiring - please help

Post by Buckenham »

Hello everybody

Any help with the colour coding of the loom going to the starter , oil pump area etc would be greatly appreciated . I seem to be short of one wire in the oil pump area , there were some very long wires that we thought went to the switch on top of the gearbox just behind the bellhousing , but maybe not . Things might have been wrong before I took it apart because the oil pressure gauge was not working . There is also another strange one - the new alternator has the usual three terminals for the plug however there is also a stray single brown wire with nowhere to go .

This is not a military spec vehicle and I have also checked the online manual but cannot make out the colour codes .

Thanks in advance everybody .

Chris .
map1275

Post by map1275 »

It's all standard Lucas colour coding. There shouldn't be any problem. As opposed to some one going through the entire system for you, which features haven't you connected to? You should be short two wires at the oil filter head

If your loom has been butchered, buy a new one. They are cheaper than a quality terminal set.

Military isn't any different save for the charging system and a canon plug can't be interchanged for an alternator plug.
Buckenham

quick reply

Post by Buckenham »

hello - thankyou for the quick response . The vehicle has only done 25k and the loom is as close to new as it gets at this age no butchering at all -99%+ still in the original braid . There was only one , the original owner from new before me .

After posting I read that there were sensors/senders fitted in the oil pump housing that are only wired in if specced when new , any truth in this?

The vehicle has only got the oil pressure gauge .

I am curious to know if other owners have found those wires to the switch on top of the gearbox long as well .

Thankyou
map1275

Post by map1275 »

As per concurrent Range-Rover, the engine has provision for oil temp and oil pressure gauges. However there is no wiring provided. The additional fitting kit is required to make these work. There isn't a special engine loom.

The reverse light switch is on top of the box.
Buckenham

Three sendrs

Post by Buckenham »

This is helpful thankyou - so does anybody know which of the three senders does what on the oil pump housing.

Thanks
Chris .
map1275

Post by map1275 »

They are all standard Smiths units and meet the appropriate standardised descriptions. Therefore the one that looks like your coolant temp sender... The workshop manual supplement pictures all the units but I think only names three of them. Otherwise check the parts book.
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Look down from the right hand wing and the oil pressure gauge is the large cylindrical device (approx 1 1/2” diameter) on the side of the oil pump. Attached to this is one Light Green\Brown wire.

The oil pressure light sender is adjacent to the above and is much smaller in size. I’m afraid I can’t make out the colour of the wire to this without referring to my printed manual. Let me know if you need me to clarify?

There is a sender underneath the oil pump that points straight to the ground and this is the optional oil temperature sender. Although the sender is present the wire usually isn’t unless the gauge is fitted. Should the wire exist then it is Light Green\Green.

For the purpose of identification and assuming the gauge and light work just simply earth out the wires with the ignition on and check the dash, but just make sure that you don’t earth out a straight 12v live to earth as you’ll pop a fuse or endure some fireworks.

Good luck…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Buckenham

Wiring .

Post by Buckenham »

Thankyou very much - an evening with good neighbour and meter , your information , lucas wiring colour code guides , well earned drink and all is well . This explains why the oil pressure gauge did not work - looks like it was never connected before . The oil temp sender has never had a spade on it either . Has anyone else ever noticed that the wires to the reversing light switch are astonishingly long ? It looks like it might be easy to fit an oil temp gauge .

What was the third optional gauge - charging ?

Best Regards
Chris
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Reverse light wiring is generic Ser III and not specific to any version.

Read you hand book. Otherwise you can put in whatever gauge you want.

Re: Wiring .

Post by 5988 »

Buckenham wrote: . Has anyone else ever noticed that the wires to the reversing light switch are astonishingly long ? It looks like it might be easy to fit an oil temp gauge .

What was the third optional gauge - charging ?

Best Regards
Chris
you haven't wired up the reverse light switch with the wires to the diff lock switch have you, as these would be longer?
not wired mine yet so cant comment on there length

We have a similar age S3 with 3 gauges, oil temp, oil pressure and Amps - this sint a stage 1 though and is ex-military so may not be the same (my stage 1 only has pressure so cant look)