Hello all.

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
phil.fury

Hello all.

Post by phil.fury »

Hello all,
My name is Phil & for my sins I own a stage 1. I don't know what version it started life as but it was registered in 1982 & presently has an open back with cab.

I bought it about four years ago, taking my chances as was unseen & fairly cheap. The previous owner had severely mistreated it & had no idea how rare & special it was. He had painted it Orange & White, stripped the splines on the nearside front axle shaft & so had been driving about with the diff lock engaged.

So, soon after getting it home I rebuilt the front axle which included finding another casing, new shaft & a Range-Rover diff, as the old shaft was never going to separate itself from the old diff.

So far so good so next was to change the knackered gear box, which is not a job for the faint hearted, but with help from a friend the job was done. Unfortunately though the replacement box had a tooth missing off a cog & made a hell of a noise when driving. With that I lost all motivation & the poor stage 1 sat in my garden for about three years, until a couple of months ago.

Now with renewed motivation & full of energy I decided I should complete the task. The chassis is surprisingly solid but needs two outriggers which I have, the rear tub needs replacing, I have one ready, the dash top needs replacing because someone thoughtfully put two speakers in it, I have a replacement, & there are plenty of niggling little things that need doing like wiring problems & gauges not working etc. I also have another replacement gearbox which is the job at the moment while the tub is off.

There are a few bits I'm still searching for like, front bumper, heater control valve & a few minor bits but I've hopefully found an original radiator grill, which I'm very pleased about as I don't like the Defender grill that was on it when I bought it.

I am going to paint it desert sand with a 3/4 sand coloured canvas roof, I think that will look ok, yes ??

I also own a 1960 series 2 which I bought about five years ago which has a full canvas, is painted bronze green, has a 2.25 petrol engine & is quite frankly my favourite vehicle out of all the vehicles that I have ever owned.

A very sad looking stage 1.
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Welcome,

It’s nice to hear about another one of these beasts being put back in to use. Whatever colour you choose will be better than the current scheme – interesting mould green you have there; lol. Do you know what colour it was originally as most of the Stage 1’s had some very striking colours which look great? You get this thing back on the road and it will soon surpass the Series II for being the best car you’ve had; certainly the most fun.

BTW – whereabouts are you located? I too am located in Essex for my sins…

Regards Mark…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
sebking

hello

Post by sebking »

welcome - you'll find all the help you need here!

That truck looks like it's been under some trees... for a long time!
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
olliebarrett_92

Post by olliebarrett_92 »

Yeah, looks like a good one, just needs a bit of TLC! ;)

Im in Suffolk myself, where abouts in Essex are you Mrs Bingham and Phil?

Ollie :)
Now on the road, and loving it!!!! =)
phil.fury

Post by phil.fury »

Thank you all for the warm welcome :D

The original colour was possibly Arctic blue & although I have decided on desert sand for the respray I am still struggling with my conscience over this decision.

I have now got my hands on an original radiator grill which I am more than happy about :D The gearbox change hasn't come a long way in the last couple of days because I've had to work, but hopefully I will make a bit of progress this afternoon.

I live just near to the airport at Stansted a couple of miles from junction 8 off the M11. Is that near you Mark, Ollie or anyone else?
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

It’s not for me to say but you are sitting on an appreciating asset so if you are going to the trouble of changing its colour then I would definitely consider putting it back to the original colour. If it were blue then it would have been either marine blue (standard) or pageant blue – like a royal blue which was a Stage 1/Triumph colour, unless of course it was a customer specification from new. Sand was an export colour but that said, it would look great and would be quite rare in the UK. I think the deciding factor would be what you intend on using the old girl for i.e. work or pleasure? That would also determine to what standard to restore her to and how much to spend.

BTW – I’m located 6 miles outside of Southend-on-Sludge.

Regards Mark…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
olliebarrett_92

Phil, that isn't actually all that far from me at all.
I guess to I am about 35 minutes from Standsted Airport, I live just outside of Sudbury in Suffolk.

:)

Post by 5988 »

hi
id suggest with smething as rare as a stage 1 paiting it in either its correct colour , or if you repaintng all of it then any of the stage 1 colours would be a good idea , as they become more collectable (...is why mines going back to java green , despite it being such a horrible colour :lol: )
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hi Phil,

Welcome aboard :)

it is good to see another Stage 1 getting the right kind of treatment. Unlike mine which tends to be harsh ;)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Buckenham

In between Stansted and Sudbury

Post by Buckenham »

Hello chaps , I live halfway between you both in the sticks near Stisted .
Chris
olliebarrett_92

I see that you're in Halstead, thats about 15 minutes from where I live, maybe not even that!
Can't believe my Stage 1's cousins are so close!!! :o :D
V8_Disco

Post by V8_Disco »

Not far from my fokes, My stage 1 Lives up north though, less trafic!

Whats going on with the windscreen?

Great trucks

A
1982, Stage 1 SW LPG
1999, Disco 2 4.6 Stage 1 Heads ES Multipoint LPG
1976, 88 SW
1973, 88 Truck Cab