Fitting power steering to Stage 1

Technical questions and answers
casamercedes

Fitting power steering to Stage 1

Post by casamercedes »

Hi,

Whilst I have been rebuilding my station wagon, I have been considering fitting of power steering.

It would seem to be a lot easier than trying to do it on an ordinary Series 111.

Has anybody done this and what parts did they use?

All info greatfully received

Dave
2004 LDV Convoy Crew Cab 2.4 TD
2005 Zsara Picasso HDI (cheap to run)
map1275

Post by map1275 »

The only legal conversions use a straightforward clamp-on system with remote rams. There are least two kits available that are intended for Ser III.

Otherwise you have to modify chassis and bulkhead. I haven't seen or read of one conversion yet that actually addressed the legal/safety/insurance aspects as part of the conversion.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Been posted on here before, but here you go
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/PowerSteering.htm
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
John Roach

Post by John Roach »

Have only heard good things about this company's products (formerly TI Console). Not sure if their kit fits a Stage 1, though they claim it fits all Series, and they are familiar with Stage 1's. Bit pricey, mind.

http://www.heystee-automotive.com/

Regards,

John
1982 Stage 1
1982 88"...dormant in back garden!
casamercedes

Post by casamercedes »

John Roach wrote:Have only heard good things about this company's products (formerly TI Console). Not sure if their kit fits a Stage 1, though they claim it fits all Series, and they are familiar with Stage 1's. Bit pricey, mind.

http://www.heystee-automotive.com/

Regards,

John
Thanks for that and I have been in contact with them before, but as you say they are VERY expensive. The kit does fit the Stage 1 as well as the standard series vehicles.

Regards Dave
2004 LDV Convoy Crew Cab 2.4 TD
2005 Zsara Picasso HDI (cheap to run)
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I looked into this seriously.

When Chris Perfect was UK distributor for the power steering kits. I contacted him and had a very long conversation on how the ram kit from T.I. fits.

The kit is designed to fit a 2.25 petrol or diesel and early 2.5s. The stage one's front cross member fouls the ram and therefore the cross member needs cutting out and repositioning. The pump supplied in the kit is a low volume pump with a large capacity reservoir. Modern pumps such as the ZF can produce tool much pressure as blow ram seals. According to Mr Perfect a blown ram seal is unheard of and they wont warrant your use of non kit parts.
You can fit a pressure reducer but this all adds cost and T.I. at that time would not sell individual parts ie ram and brackets.

I also looked into fitting a defender system and somewhere on this forum is a good magazine article on how to do it.

Good luck keep us posted.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »