Oil pressure

Technical questions and answers
steven 90

Post by steven 90 »

I have lost a day with the sender so i am glad i did not take apart my engine :wink:

Groeten
Steven

ps Ken jij toevallig nog geen interesante nederlands tallige landrover forums.
Jambo

Post by Jambo »

Steven,

"Het prikbord" is een 'n goeie:

http://www.prikpagina.nl/list.php?f=1003

Hanno
mictho

Post by mictho »

I had a right fit while trying to fit an aftermarket Oil pressure gauge to mine.... I once almost ran out of oil on a long journey (hence my post on thermostats) and didn't realize. So I bought this oil pressure clock from eBay for a few quid and then had a tough time finding an adapter to get the sender to screw into the oil filter housing. I went to Pirtek in Reading in the end and they waved their magic wand and came up with some weird adapters... ;-)

Same for a new petrol pump I bough to replace the old difragm one. They only do the solid state one now but the outlets point upwards and downwards instead of sideways... pain in the proverbial.

So, yes. My sender is a piece of crap as well, I recon I need to get a decent one like a VDO (German). When cold, my engine idles at around 25PSI. Then as you accelerate it goes up to about 50 something. When it gets warm oil pressure drops to about 10-15PSI idel and 30 high revs. I don't know how accurate this blimmin clock is tho.

At least its shows me that the engine is still pumping blood.... ;-)
mictho

Post by mictho »

BTW guys, Vehicle Wiring products do an electric Oil press gauge. I've no idea what brand it is or whether it is any good, but it 'looks' solid enough. Certainly better than what I've got.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.u ... auges.html

They also do adapters, cables, switches, fuse boxes blah blah blah.... you'll be in heaven!! :D
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

jonnyboy wrote:One thing to watch out for is that the piston can stick in the cylinder. A higher pressure spring might cause that problem to get worse. I have heard of a using a "tadpole" valve in race V8's that stops this problem happening.

The green bible states that, when warm and at 2400 rpm, the pressure should be 30 to 40 psi. That's about 2 to 2.5 Bar. The rover V8 has a low pressure high volume lubrication system and I have my doubts about the benefits of increasing the pressure. If you hitting 4 Bar then that's aprox 60 Psi.
I concur with jonnyboy - Low pressure, High volume.

High pressure should be avoided as stated in "How to Power Tune Rover V8 Engines for Road and Track By Des Hammill" I have pasted a A free to view link below

The normal engine oil pressure is 30lbf/ins2 at 2400 r.p.m. On a standard engine do not attempt to increase this pressure by fitting a stronger pressure relief valve spring.
My understanding is that if you do, then the increased oil pressure will cause the oil in the tappets to froth at a lower engine speed, restricting engine performance. - Applies to standard engines.

Race engines with heavily modified oil paths and seals etc as well as remote oil filters, coolers and/or pumps benefit from higher pressures as they have been modified with this in mind.

steven 90 refered to a "Tadpole"
Fitting a Tadpole type valve with a standard spring is however recommended as this allows more volume of oil to circulate through the system at the standard pressure.
An odd characteristic of the tadpole valve is that the oil pressure will drop on initial opening about 500 rpm before building back up again. So don't panic

Further reading can be found at

How to Power Tune Rover V8 Engines for Road and Track By Des Hammill
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gmSa ... pole+valve

http://www.rover-v8.nl/v8web/v802.html

Pump overhaul kits off ebay are here

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THE-ROVER-V8-E ... idZ2QQtZkm
I believe the chaps name is Dave and is happy to answer questions.

Having had my own oil pressure problems recently, the tadpole was the solution to a sticky valve.
For the benefit of the forum I have attempted to be factual and researched what I have been told from multiple sources.
If however, I am wrong on any of this information then please let me, and the forum know - I am always prepared to be enlightened

Regards

Ginga
Theres always a way !
firemanshort

Smiths Gauge

Post by firemanshort »

Does anyone know how the factory smiths gauge is supposed to be wired?

How do you test the sender unit on the oil filter housing to see if it is working (I am looking for any needle movement - we will work on accuracy later)?
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

hi
l am having similar problems with my engine
today l packed the pump with vasaline and put all back together. fired the engine up
low presure light on the dash lit up but went off as soon as the engine started.
the oil presure gauge on the dash wont move - is there easy way of checking the gauge works.
also l have 3 conections to the pump but only two wires conected to the pump. (it was like this when l got the car)
l thought l would give it a warm up to see if the gauge would budge - it didnt. the oil filter gets hot so l am sure oil is getting into the filter.

after stopping the engine after a few minutes of running and no budge on the pressure gauge, l looked in the top of the engine oil filler tube. the rocker shaft and spring looks dry as if no oil is getting pumped arround.

how can l check to make sure that the oil is getting up to the rockers.
l am at a wits end trying to sort this car out
cheers

Post by 5988 »

checking if oil is getting to the rockers should eb easy...you will see it
have you or a po had them in bits)
if assembled the wrong way arround the rockers dont get oil-oilways dont line up

testing the gauge - feed it with 12v and see if it reads max (assuming it is a 12v gauge and not fed from a voltage regulator-in which case 12v directly will proably break it)

not sure how the sender works...would guess it varies resistance with pressure - so try measuring resistance as you run and speed up the engine