Electronic Ignition

Technical questions and answers
Matt Braddish

Electronic Ignition

Post by Matt Braddish »

Has anyone ditched their points for electronic ignition and how easy/cheap is it to do? I am not sure how much play, if any should be present on the distributor shaft, as I certainly feel a bit. I have seen a kit on Ebay to convert the dizzy for around £20 but am I wasting my money?
Also how easy is it to convert say a later distributor to work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.
Matt B
redtailhawk

Post by redtailhawk »

Hi Matt
If you look at the post replacement ignition system i posted a reply about using range rover electronic dizzy hope this helps
Darren
1981 Stage 1 SW
If it's not broken don't try to fix it

Post by 5988 »

there should be no side play in the shaft
but at the age it is there will be

not seen the kit you refer to ....what does it do? just replace the points or the whole system like luminition ?

electronic ignition isnt going to get rid of the worn distributor whatever you do, personaly i cant see the point (both brother and dad have it on there petrol vehicles) and ive yet to tell any difference
so i will be fitting my V8 with a normal distributor and points and saving the large amount of cahs a decent electronic ignition system costs (id be suprised if the one you refer to does what luminition does for 1/10th the price....maybe though)
Larosto

Post by Larosto »

Hi,

I tried 123 Ignition. I was not satisfied, because when the engine got warm, it ran very bad and misfired. On LPG the engine even stoped idling. So I put my original distributor with contacts in again, it works much better. My partdealer says that the 123 distributor was defekt and he repaired it, but I didn`t still find the time to try it again. You shozuld not expect wonders from an electronic ignition, with a good contact distributor the engine runs good too.
Notice,a little play in the distributor doesn`t matter, and if the engine doesn`t run well you should look whether everything else is allright.

regards

Horst
Matt Braddish

Post by Matt Braddish »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/V8-Lucas-35D-Elec ... 7C294%3A50

This was what I was looking at, although it seems it cannot work with a ballast resistor, which I presume is what sits next to my coil.
Matt B
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Stirling went into quite a lot of detail about how he installed EFI into his. He was running LPG.

http://stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 91&start=0
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Mik

Post by Mik »

I'm in the process of fitting a MegaJoltJr system. I'll report back when it's up and running.
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE

Post by 5988 »

that should be a good conversion ....interesting to follow