Tyre pressure

Technical questions and answers
Kippa

Tyre pressure

Post by Kippa »

Hi,

Can anybody advise what pressure I should be maintaining in my tyres for normal road use. They are:

BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A - 235/85 R16

Thanks,
Kev
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

i put 35 psi in my road tires. remember the harder it is the less tire that is in contact with the road.

haha i see your from Kent. My old man is from there and grew up in Margate.
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
Kippa

Margate !

Post by Kippa »

Cheers Gary,

I've ended up putting 30 in the front and 36 in the rear, I'll see what the performance/wear is like.

Margate? great seaside town, candy-floss, kiss-me-quick hats, fish n' chips, amusement arcades . . . rain, rain, rain !!! Funnily enough I'm off to Wesgate tomorrow, which happens to be the next resort along the coast.

Kev.
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I'm pretty sure with the BFG muds you can get away with upto 40psi in the tyres.
Kippa

Tyre pressure

Post by Kippa »

Hi Stirling,

I heard that too, but there's also the theory that if you put to much pressure in the tyres the middle of the tread wears out.

I did give Goodrich a call, but they didn't have a LR Stage 1 listed, now there's a surprise !

Kev.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I usually run my tyres at 30psi all round. It does state in the handbook to run 7.50's at 25psi all round unladen. but if you go upto speeds of 70mph,
it states to run at higher pressures which is 32psi.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

What pressure you choose to use depends on a number of factors. Higher pressures (harder tyres) makes it easier to turn the steering wheel at low speeds (say, when parking) but offer a harder ride on the open road, lower pressures offer a better on-road ride but makes turning the steering wheel harder. On the other hand, if you are carrying heavier loads or towing a heavy trailer you need to make the rear tyre pressures higher in either case.

At the time that LR recommended those tyre pressures the tyres were not able to take the high pressures we often use today. 25 was standard for cars where 30-36 is today. It is true that over inflated tyres will wear in the middle and under inflated tyres will wear on the edges, but again this used to be more of a problem than it is today.

I normally use 36 front and rear. That gives me a good all-round level of performance. What pressures you use depends on the type of tyre you are running. If I were to use them I would be running them at 36-40 on the road.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
disco2hse

Re: Tyre pressure

Post by disco2hse »

Kippa wrote:I did give Goodrich a call, but they didn't have a LR Stage 1 listed, now there's a surprise !
Should be the same as a 110.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5