ZF 4 speed auto - speedo cable compatibilty

Technical questions and answers
nick

ZF 4 speed auto - speedo cable compatibilty

Post by nick »

Hi folks,

Currently in the process of sticking a range rover engine with ZF 4 speed auto box into my stage 1, have not looked at this particular area yet, but does anybody know whether the speedo drive from this gearbox is compatible with the existing speedo cable on the stage one? I'm thinking I'll probably also need to get the speedo head re-callibrated. Anyone got any experience of this topic?

Cheers,
Nick :D
Do what you like and you'll always like what you do.
Basil

Post by Basil »

I am not sure mate but didn't the four speed auto have an electronic speedo drive, or was it cable? did you have to move your chassis mount's to get the gearbox in?

Baz
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
nick

Post by nick »

Baz,

Haven't actually got it in the frame yet as current lack of engine hoist, but very careful measurements of the existing mounting points in relation to the engine that's already in it seem to indicate that they will line up perfectly!
Pretty sure the 1988 models had cable driven speedos. Will let you know as soon as it's in and will attempt to post some pictures!

Cheers,
Nick :-D
Do what you like and you'll always like what you do.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Good luck with the conversion mate, it will be nice to see some photo's off it. :D

Cheer's Baz
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
primsil

Post by primsil »

mounts do line up, I had one sitting in my spare chassis, the 88 rangie does have a cable speedo, but i dont know if the calibration is correct, but drive gears are interchangeable in the lt230.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
ray dawson

Post by ray dawson »

hello guys, the speedo cable on a stage one is not compatable with the zf auto box. on mine when it tells me i am doing 30mph i am actually doing 50mph. bit of a pain when approaching speed cameras. i try and tuck in behind another vehicle for them ! the gear box mounts are identical to the 4 speed manual thank god. if you do this conversion for christ sake have good brakes, you WILL need them.
Larry

Post by Larry »

I had thought about the very same conversion, but the braking issue was what always put me off.

It certainly is something big to consider when doing such an automatic gearbox mod and the cost of disc brake upgrades is massive.