V8 finally started after 3 years of sitting, over the moon

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
harry potter

V8 finally started after 3 years of sitting, over the moon

Post by harry potter »

evening all
l havent been on here for ages due to other comittments (ie girlfriend, boozing, hockey and motorbikes)

HOWEVER on sunday, l managed to fire the V8 up and it ran a treat. Sounded awesome running with no air filters or exhaust pipes.

l have cleaned the carbs, induction manifold, fuel pipes, pushed on the HT leads to the plugs and dissy. carbs had dry fuel in them, leads were not on

have found a new love for the truck after spending months undernith it cleaning off rust, replacing the fuel tank, two rear out riggers and rear shocks.

will hopefully get it finished for the landy show this year!!! (have said that for the last 2 years of ownership)
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Alright, so now ya gotta prove it - with piccies ;)

Sounds like you've done some great work.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

will try and get a video of the truck running

will be working again on it this weekend. have to make some brake hoses for the rear axle and give the engine another run.

http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70 ... stage%201/
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

Oh dear, :shock:
It need a real pro and a divoted person.
Are you a landrover collector?
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

far from a pro. l am only a 23 year old civil engineer. l have been pulling things appart for years though.
thats the best thing about landrovers, they are so simple to work on. any problems can be sorted by doing a little reading and then hitting it hard with the largest lump hammer in the tool box

Are you a landrover collector?
the other two trucks are my house mates, but deffinatly quite a collection.
landdani

Post by landdani »

You must see the hammer size in the garage where I fix my car. :lol:
The good thing about your landrover mates that you do not have to plan for your trips, thay are always their for you.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Evening all
Well the v8 has finally died. Wouldn't pass the MOT as hydro carbons are too high. Apparent this is due to the main bearings been nackered. The garage says that the engine is cracked around the bearings. L do not have the time or space to removed and rebuild the engine. I am looking for a engine to do a straight swap.
If anybody has a good engine laying around l please get in touch!!!!

What are ways of testing a engine before fitting it in a car. Don't want to fit a duff engine
Also what seals gaskets are required during the change
Thanks for any help and advice
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Sorry to hear that.

What the hell does "the engine is cracked around the bearings" mean? What bit of the engine? What bearings? The only way for them to have diagnosed this is if they had taken it apart already. Did they?

So far as emissions are concerned, I have heard some horror stories from over your way about how testers treat customer vehicles. For example read this: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showt ... ntry547026

I shouldn't be surprised if the tester has shagged your engine. By any chance, was it the same garage who did the testing that also said the "engine was cracked"? Did they also offer to do the repairs? If so, I think I would be looking at taking action against them for willful damage.

About replacing the engine, read this: http://www.landroverv8.com/manuals/v8overhaul.pdf. It will tell you a lot about what is needed and where. And so far as replacement and what is required, I would suggest doing some shopping around to find a rebuilt (certified) engine and then what is needed for it.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

So did you work out what the EGR pipe was for?

Post by 5988 »

harry potter wrote:Evening all
Well the v8 has finally died. Wouldn't pass the MOT as hydro carbons are too high. Apparent this is due to the main bearings been nackered. The garage says that the engine is cracked around the bearings.
WTF!!
Id go and ask them how the hell they work that out from an emissions test and watch them struggle as they try to explain...
Main bearings would do nothing to the emissions, they would let the crank float a little (and damage it once worn to the base material), but there would be no way that would affect the emissions in any noticeable way
If they are nackered you have poor oil pressure, and likely a deep rumbling sound from the bottom of the engine.

There is no way a crack around the bearings can be seen without the block fully dismantled, you'd need the bearings, rods, crank etc out and it very clean...probably need a crack detecting fluid as well, if it was big enough to see your engine probably wouldn't still be running

They may mean the block is cracked externally (you've had coolant in it not water haven't you?), if it was then its unlikely that would affect emissions either, but you'd be losing coolant

Id find yourself another garage...

Get your carbs tuned (and balanced) and the timing set properly and it will probably be ok again

edit - just noticed from the pics you have LPG, are you testing on petrol or lpg? , LPG should give much lower emissions, but set badly gives horrific HC emissions so if on LPG that may be your problem
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

I’ve heard some garage tales in my time but never such rubbish like that. They’ve got absolutely no idea what is inflating the HC’s let alone being competent enough to make such a diagnosis without first stripping the engine down. Are you sure they are not trying to poach the vehicle off of you with this scaremongering?

Has it been in regular use and how well is it running? If the engine was knackered I think it would be obvious and high HC’s would be the least of your problems. There could be several reasons for high HC’s none least if the vehicle has sat around dormant for so long. The carbs need to be set up well and all the ignition and plugs etc need to be tip top. Check for air leaks and all the vacuum pipes.

If you can give it a good run if it has been stood a while. Hopefully the garage haven’t revved the nuts out of it to the point of destruction.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards Mark…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
sebking

High HC

Post by sebking »

is unburnt fuel. So check you are running on all cylinders - might just need a new set of leads. Mine was off the scale a while back and was camshaft.

Do the basics. Worn ends - no oil pressure not high HCs!
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
landiman

Post by landiman »

i had to change the camshaft on mine to get Hc's down, just hope your's isn't carboned up like mine was... took blooming ages to clean most of the rubbish off.
But on the upside not a bad job to do and worth doing!
http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab66 ... an/Series/
Series 3 stage 1 109( now off to usa)
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

hi guys, thanks for the response.

to give you some back ground info on the truck -
it was originally advertised on this very forum 5-6 year ago. £1500 - non runner and mot failure. l didnt pay close to that and had it shipped down from scotland.

the truck does have a LPG kit installed but l have never used it it.
first job on delivery was to get it running. poured fuel straight down carbs and it fired up. lots of smoke but it ran. the LPG kit will be coming out of the truck and will be available for sale soon.

as you can see from the pictures the carbs were in very bad condition. it had new diaphrams in it, so they were stripped, bead blasted and put back together. once cleaned and the induction manifold, put back on and all plumbed in, the engine would run.
l gave the engine a oil change - making sure the oil pump was primed with the vas as reconmended by the manual.
after completing various tasks - works include
welding of rear cross member
parabolic springs front and rear
polybushed all round
clean of rear axel and paint
new uj's in prop shaft
master cylinder and new break lines thoughout the complete truck (goodridge braded)
each wheel cylinder claned and re-assembled - garage tweeked each break into ballance
new fuel tank and fuel line
new set of modular wheels and tyres
cleaned and re-sealled radiator and painted -
chassie brushed of rust and painted
new indicator stalk
new lights and bowls fitted
new clutch to be fitted (incs slave and master)
new plug lines and dissy

all in all quite a bit of work expecially as l have never done anything like this before.

anyways...
l get the truck ready for the MOT. everything works as l think it should.
take it to the test centre to a small 4X4 garage on the east of coventry. they have MOT'ed the other landy's in the above pictures and are a reasonable, friendly and advisable garage.
for the MOT they aligned the front lights to position.
set up the brakes to balance - works really well!
now for the failure - emmisions are too high
it does take the car a while to get warmed up and does pump out some black smoke until cleared.
the oil pressure gauge has never worked but l know oil is making its way to the rockers.
the engine does sound rough - there is a knocking sound that is noticable when driving and on tick over.
they have said 'that it sounds like the engine has cracked somewhere down near the bottom end bearings. also they would not give it a test drive down the road incase they put a rod through the side of the casing as it sound like the engine is about to give way' the engine was also never opened up by them
l have been offered a engine (v8 3.5ltr) for £300 untested or arround £500-600 for a tested and approved engine from them.

also they did try balancing the carbs - one of the needles has actially undone itself and fallen into the jet, also the piston was not rising as it should on the dampener piston as the inside had been scored (potentially by myself when trying to adjust the carb)

all in all - l get very little time to work on the car as l work away during the week. the current engine has 70000 on the clock. l am looking at putting a new engine of known sound quality with a new clutch kit (slave and master) which will hopefully sort my long time problem.

l wounder if the timing was ever advanced fro the lpg???
disco2hse - thanks for your links and the manual.