Blocked Gear

Technical questions and answers
landdani

Blocked Gear

Post by landdani »

Something strange happening to my car, it is a miss function in the gear.
If first happened before a few days, I droved 160 KLM, then I stopped to pick up a friend, after few minutes of playing in the mud I noticed a resistance and a difficulty in the gear hand, then it blocked completely and stacked on the first gear.
I could not change the gear even if the car stopped or the pedal pressed :?
Someone tried to help but he braked the gear hand, don`t ask me how. :x

After towing the car, the garage told me that it was the oil pump (the one under the bonnet near the wing);
the oil was linking on the left pedal cause of the old rubber. :(
The garage replace the gear hand, changed the rubber and fills the oil, then he closed the shop and I went to make the leafs more flexible.
After a while, I stopped to see an accessories shop, parking the car on the first gear, as there is no hand break.
When I came back to the car, I noticed the same problem; the gear hand was blocked on the first gear again, so I closed the car until the next day.
In the morning I went to the garage and gived him the keys and left him as I was in hurry.
On the after noon I cam to pick up the car, the mec. told me that there is no wrong in it, it was only an oil problem in the gear room and he fillet it for me: but he told me to park the car on the 2end or R but not on the 1 st.
. Who told me to start the car, and it really worked!! He told me that it had something with CY metal in gearbox
After 2 days, I went to the mounting as it was snowing, to test the snow drive for the first time. 8)
In the first of all, I could not change the gear from the 1st , so I restart the car without pressing on the gas pedal, and the car moved few inches and stopped of curs but the gear hand released!!
I hade few second of joy :D , but when the glass stopped the car (tiers spinning), the car stopped.
I tried to put on N to restart or on R to reveres and turn 90 degree but the gear hand was blocked on the first.
I don`t know what I did but the gear hand was free again, so soon I turned around pouting the 1 LOW gear before something more dangerous happened.
It was a wise decision as the car blocked on the 1st gear and I was lucky not to face any car on the narrow snowy road.
I parked the car and used a bus, watching the lazy ones coming late with their new 4X4 cars. :wink:
I used to trust the car but now I don`t :cry: , I am from flesh and not metal, and I just can`t imagine what could had happened if I was on the high way at night.
Last edited by landdani on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Dani,

If it is only the first gear that is causing problems then the problem has nothing to do with oil, or no oil, in the gearbox. However it may be a clutch problem that means you can't move it out of gear and the description you gave of fluid dripping on the clutch peddle suggests that might be the case. Also, it sounds like the clutch fluid is leaking and has needed to be filled.

This is not a really big job - and is a smaller job than changing the carburettors your brother did. Either there is a leaking clutch line or connection, master cylinder needs replacing, clutch plate in gearbox needs replacing,...

Or, it may be that the gearing for 1st gear needs to be repaired.

If it is the clutch plate or gears that need to be repaired the gearbox needs to be removed. This is not very hard to do, but it is heavy.

Good luck with it, and get it fixed.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

OK, so the Clutch Master Cylinder has failed (your fluid leak and what the garage repaired). They may have just replaced the seals instead of the cylinder.

At a guess, I would suggest the Clutch Slave Cylinder and or the Clutch Flexible Hose is your next problem.

If they haven't totally failed yet, this would give you the sometimes problem. The hose can swell and act like a valve, sometimes swelling outwards, sometimes blocked.

How does the pedal feel when you can't get into gear? soft, hard?

Download the parts list from this site and have a look at the pictures.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Off the track a little but how is the new parts supply in Damascus?

Plenty of new, used or ex Army parts? As the rest of us have trouble getting certain items.
Davo

Post by Davo »

As said above, replace the clutch hydraulics. The car is getting old and they are cheap and easy to replace. Do the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, and the flexible hose and then that will be one less thing to worry about.

Also, if you do some gearbox work then you will definitely trust the car again. If you have the time and money, take the gearbox out and replace all the bearings and seals, and replace first gear if you need to. Then your gearbox will last for a very long time.

And fix the handbrake - you might need it!

Have patience with your Landie, as it is getting old and these things happen. Once you have fixed everything you will love driving it again.

All of us who have owned Land-Rovers for a while have been through this! :D :D :D
landdani

Post by landdani »

Dear all, thank you for your reply.
I was in a different town so Could not take a photos of the repare operation.
I will read your remarks carfuly and ask my bruther about it.
yours,
wonderful sport!
landdani

Post by landdani »

map1275 wrote: Download the parts list from this site and have a look at the pictures.
Dear map1275, can you rewright the site`s name please ?
wonderful sport!
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Look at the top listing of Technical Discussion - Manual Downloads...
landdani

Post by landdani »

Thank you all,
It seems that the two garagist from the two different twon know each but they heated each., so each one was blaming the other. :?
wonderful sport!