California Stage One for sale

Your adverts or pointers to other adverts, Ebay, recommended suppliers etc.
Londoner

California Stage One for sale

Post by Londoner »

Sadly, I have decided to sell my Stage One. :cry:

It's nigh on impossible to get it registered in California and I have decided to give up and clear the space on my drive.

1981 Stage One
LPG and Gasoline
Overall great condition.
Needs a new rear cross member
Would benefit from a new steering box and maybe front springs
Recently had a new OEM clutch and rebuilt front prop
$10,000 obo

I will email pictures if anyone is interested.
landdani

Post by landdani »

I feel sorry for you.
Whay california don`t want to register your car? Is it because of the age? Or Green lows?
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Long story, short...

All vehicles newer than 1974 must be smogged. Because the Landy came from England it has no smog equipment to speak of. It has to be inspected by a state representative - a "smog referee". He will decide, what, if any, smog equipment will have to be added.

The cost of adding the equipment should be managable - it could probably be sourced from an older Disco or Rangie.

The problem lies with the next step - it now has to be tested by a California Air Resorces Board lab - there are only two in the state and it can't yet be driven on the roads. However, the cost to transport is nothing compared to the cost of the test - $2500 minimum.

It gets better - the lab rep told me the biggest source of failure for trucks like the stage 1 is the evaporative emissions test. They put the Landy in a sealed room and measure every single particle released into the air. Let's face it, the petrol cap doesn't have the most airtight seal in the world. And, the fuel lines being 25 plus years old will most likely allow some evaporative emissions.

So... Smog referee, smog equipment, replace petrol tank, fuel lines, etc., transport to lab, and lab test = no fun.

A diesel of the same age would, strangely require no testing at all - nice to know the air quality in California is being look after by bureaucrats - we can all rest easier...

And yet most of the other states have no problem allowing these trucks on the road legally without any fuss or bother.

As you can see, time to move on - perhaps to a diesel!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

In that case, dump the V8 and stick in something newer like a small block chevy. Or do what the Aussies ahve been so good at and put in an Isuzu 4DB1. The Chev will require a face plate for the box but I believe the Isuzu will bolt straight in. Coupla weeks work at most.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

Can you modifi it to liquid gas? like stirling?
Perhaps register the car in different state?
I am sure that you did thought of that befor, but i am only trying to help.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
map1275

Post by map1275 »

So with the exception of running on unleaded petrol and a catalyst, you require an Australian specification Stage One?

Air injection, EGR and evaporative loss control as standard.

I understand the sealed room test. Even the slowly decomposing plastic trim effects the results. However you may well find that quoting the relevant equivalent emission standards my eliminate the problem.

ie. California spec XYZ (Co2@ 'X' %, particulates @ 'Y' PPM) is equal to Australian Standard 123 or European Standard 'ZZZ') .

Alternately, the dodgy American way of getting Rover Minis registered...
its a 1972 Mini 1000!! It just happens to have all the features of a 1995 Mayfair.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hi fellas,

Thanks for the input. The diesel option won't work because the DVLA paperwork lists it as petrol - so it must be tested as it came into the country and not as modified afterwards. Besides, finding a diesel here in the land of the gas guzzler is not so easy.

As to LPG, it already has that mod - but, welcome to the People's Republic of California - it's listed as petrol and must be tested based on it's primary motive power.

The lab is run by the state, trying to convince them of anything or trying to explain something to them only gets you a blank stare - the rules is the rules...

The Stage One can pretty much be freely registered in the other states - there are a few exceptions, but on the whole nowhere is as tough as California.

Registration out of State does me no good as I live in Cali and it would have to be registered here eventually, and that would bring us back to square one.

The mini trick - well, I am partial to my freedom and don't fancy time in the care of the Federal Government. I know it happens, but it's just not an option for me!

I am open to ideas but at this stage I am more open to buyers :lol:
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I know how daunting the problems can be. I still occasionally have to deal with ex USA cars and from other countries that arrive in Australia and have to get registered. The Federal system plus the State system....

Though I was always in awe at the scrap yard refugee Minis and Mokes that were being exported to the States to willing buyers.

If you do have to modify, it may well be worth advertising towards Australian members. I would expect that most have no use or want for their emission control equipment. Converting to a sealed system is very straightforward and not particularly expensive.