FUEL STARVATION PROB'S

Technical questions and answers
Matt Braddish

FUEL STARVATION PROB'S

Post by Matt Braddish »

Went out in the Stage 1 today and ended up being towed home by my mates 109. The engine was running but would only go for about 1/2 a mile before losing power and would tickover but almost die if you tried to move off. If you let it tickover for 30 secs it would recover for another 1/2 mile of so. It has all the symptoms of fuel starvation, I had similar problems when I first got it, in so much as it did not like full throttle, however replacing the fuel filter seemed to cure it. I am wondering if the pump is on its way out as it 'ticks' quite loudly and it was as though the carbs were filling up with fuel on tickover and then not filling up quick enough, gradually starving themselves when I drove off and used up the fuel.
Ideas on a postcard pls, thanks.
Matt B
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hm,

Pump on its way out, blocked fuel filter, blocked fuel lines, leaking fuel line, broken carb diaphragm, crud in carb bowl blocking needle valve, poorly tuned carbs, faulty pick up in petrol tank, petrol tank is nearly empty.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

All of the above.

Though if you haven't twigged, the car five fuel filters.

Strainer at the tip of the fuel pick-up.
Filter in the base of the pump.
Paper element filter under the air cleaner.
Micro filters on each needle and seat inside the carbs.
flyingkipper

Post by flyingkipper »

Hello, here's a quick tip on this subject learned from hard experience....

If you do change the fuel pump, make sure you use a proper Land Rover spec pump (which is actually a Facet pump). They should cost around £70. Don't use the often-advertised fuel pumps at about the £30-40 mark. These ones are cheap pattern parts and are of poor quality.

A cheapo pump was fitted (not by me I hasten to add) to my 110 as part of an investigation into my various running problems (which actually turned out to be due to the carbs being worn out). Within only two months this pump had started cutting out intermittantly. This progressively got worse .. culminating in an embarassing breakdown on the M3 whilst travelling to a wedding in Somerset. Thus became my Land Rover the first vehicle ever to leave me stranded on a motorway - due of course to no fault of its own.

All my friends had a field day about this of course "ha ha, Noel's Land Rovers a piece of junk etc.."

They're all just jealous really.

Noel.
agrojnr

Re: FUEL STARVATION PROB'S

Post by agrojnr »

Matt Braddish wrote:Went out in the Stage 1 today and ended up being towed home by my mates 109. The engine was running but would only go for about 1/2 a mile before losing power and would tickover but almost die if you tried to move off. If you let it tickover for 30 secs it would recover for another 1/2 mile of so. It has all the symptoms of fuel starvation, I had similar problems when I first got it, in so much as it did not like full throttle, however replacing the fuel filter seemed to cure it. I am wondering if the pump is on its way out as it 'ticks' quite loudly and it was as though the carbs were filling up with fuel on tickover and then not filling up quick enough, gradually starving themselves when I drove off and used up the fuel.
Ideas on a postcard pls, thanks.
Not liking full throttle does not mean its starving for fuel it could mean carbs.

Do check the tank for mud and crud as mine had mud in the main line because the pipe in the tank was full of mud.

Drop the take and give a good clean out with metho

Adam
One Life Live It
1982 Stage 1 V8 wgn
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

When i first had my Stage 1 same thing happened going uphill. It was the fuel filter on the bulkhead clogged. Went like a bomb when i changed this filter. Do it every 12 Months now.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County