NZ Army Stage 1 V8 manual

Technical questions and answers
disco2hse

NZ Army Stage 1 V8 manual

Post by disco2hse »

Just to let y'all know that the sys admins have very kindly made a NZ Army manual available at http://stage1v8.org.uk/manuals/010008iss5_1.pdf .

I think there are a couple of bits missing from it but I am checking on those.
Last edited by disco2hse on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Just tried the link and its coming up as not found at this server.
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

yeah im not having any luck with that link either.
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

That's because the forum software included the full stop at the end of the end url.

Try the url without the full stop, and I have edited the link so that it now works :)
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

OK, up and running and just about to kill my printer. However I only seem to have the RPS, not EMEI's.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

D'oh... send it to work and use there printer!

This excellent, it even has hyperlinks.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Well that was some shocking grammar. Brain work quicker than fingers.

Anyway;

what's the story with the TDi? Is this a local conversion (an Army or Motorcorp creation), or a special order from Rover?

are there anymore RPS to follow?
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

The TDi was a local conversion for the NZ deployment in Bosnia, ostensibly. The vehicles that were converted were also all painted UN white.

As it happens none were protected against rust and from what I understand very few, if any, have survived to this day - although I have come across one that the owner insisted was an army conversion despite the fact it was painted NZ Army green and not UN white. In NZ, icy roads are coated with grit not salt and there is not much specific rust prevention required here, but that is not the case in many parts of Europe and so the vehicles rusted out very quickly while they were deployed. As a result most were not brought back to NZ but were wrecked there.

Apparently the 300TDi was a very successful conversion and they had a top speed of around 140km/hr - so I was told by one of the mechanics who was there at the time. They used to tease the other forces who'd look at the old series III's and scoff, then the driver would plant their boot and leave the others in their dust :D

The conversions were done at, I think, a number of places around the country but a large number were completed at Forward Specialties in Henderson, Auckland. Until they closed down, after a buy out turned sour, they had a couple of white painted wrecked ones out the back for spares. I think they got scrapped in the end.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

awesome, i did not know that about the UN ones. thats a real shame about them rusting that would have to be one of the best conversions around.
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
Davo

Post by Davo »

A big thanks for that.

Too bad the Aussie Army didn't get those instead of the six-cylinders!