Source for Stage One Radiator

Technical questions and answers
firemanshort

Source for Stage One Radiator

Post by firemanshort »

I am looking into getting my radiator dipped and boiled and so forth. I will get it tested for leaks, too, as I think there may be a tiny one in it due to the constant need to top up the radiator and a stain I found on the radiator once I removed it.

If this clean and repair job does not work - if the radiator is too far gone - is it possible to get a new one? Do any of the usual mail order outfits stock a new part?

I am in Virginia in the USA - so here I sit with my long postage distances and very weak US Dollar - braced for the bad news. Let me have it :roll:

See this BBS / Link for photos of the patient....

http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/4562
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

A new genuine radiator is big $$. I think I was quoted AUD $1,200 to $1,700. I was actually given one and I sold it on ebay for around $150.... I was expecting a little more. What's more... it went into a cortina!!!

Anyway perhaps it will be easier and cheaper for you to look into fitting a range rover radiator.
Larry

Post by Larry »

I had heard that a rad from a Leyland (LDV) Sherpa V8 van will fit a Stage 1 with a little mod (can remember which hose boss needed moving though). I haven't tried it myself, but always remembered it for when I might need it.

The Sherpa rad is a lot cheaper and easier to get hold of and even paying to have it modded shouldn't be too prohibitive.

The Sherpa (or whatever it's called these days, Pilot? Convoy?) was available in the UK for years. I know the ambulance version was used in NZ and might even have been used in Australia, so you may be able to shop around on the cheapest source if you're going to pay postage anyway.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Well, mate. I read the posts on your link and having had some experience with having had to repair obsoleted radiators over the years, your best and cheapest option is to either recore the radiator or as someone suggested, find a similar one and scavenge the core from that (you then need to be careful with what metals are used in the replacement). I can't imagine that
a competent radiator repairer would charge much for something like that. Last time I had it done it cost a couple of hundred bucks and that included a core with twice the capacity of the original one.

What you have there now is not likely to be repairable. The fins are pretty stuffed and the core is probably very clogged. But the important parts, the top and bottom, may be fine.

The muck in the bottom looks like it is the result of alloy corrosion. Have you had anti-freeze or an inhibitor? The muck in the top may be the result of Bars Leaks or similar.

You will need to flush the block and heater core before you are done with an engine flush, which can be done at the same time if you run the garden hose from the top heater hose connection. Make certain you get those back teeth, ah, cylinders.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Davie

Post by Davie »

Hi mate, Rovers North have NRC6018 listed for a mind boggling $995

http://www.landrover.ee/est/files/manua ... at2001.pdf

Or PA Blanchard for a cheaper £295

http://www.pablanchard.co.uk/product.as ... ctID=39391

Hope this helps, regards, Davie.
Rich 83

Re: Source for Stage One Radiator. Just had mine recondition

Post by Rich 83 »

firemanshort wrote:I am looking into getting my radiator dipped and boiled and so forth. I will get it tested for leaks, too, as I think there may be a tiny one in it due to the constant need to top up the radiator and a stain I found on the radiator once I removed it.

If this clean and repair job does not work - if the radiator is too far gone - is it possible to get a new one? Do any of the usual mail order outfits stock a new part?

I am in Virginia in the USA - so here I sit with my long postage distances and very weak US Dollar - braced for the bad news. Let me have it :roll:

See this BBS / Link for photos of the patient....

http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/4562
:D
Rich83
Mik

Post by Mik »

I just bought the last one from PA Blanchard :)
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Zirynx

Post by Zirynx »

Well done :roll:
firemanshort

Re-Cored

Post by firemanshort »

I was able to locate a shop filled with old world craftsman - you know the type - guys that fix things rather than throw them away and buy a new car. In Washington, DC - a craftsman is very hard to find.

Never the less, the radiator was deemed a non-fixer and was re-cored. It is all cleaned up and repainted and waiting for me to pick up. (It is located 4 hours south-west of me near my parents house in Roanoke, VA.)

Tthe whole affair cost me about $600 which is near what I figured it would cost to get a 250 BPS unit shipped from Blanchards (before Mik bought the last one :twisted: ) Plus - the shipping on on mine will be hand carried in the back of my own car rather than bounced around half way acorss the atlantic.

Once I get it back I will post up more photos.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I spoke to Allisport at the Land Rover show as I wanted a bit more cooling for my 4.6 V8 90 Def. They quoted £400 for a bespoke handbuilt aluminium radiator. Size for size Ali gives approx 30% better cooling and even more if you specify a deeper core. Oh if you order at one of the shows they will do VAT free. May be another option to consider
disco2hse

Re: Re-Cored

Post by disco2hse »

firemanshort wrote:I was able to locate a shop filled with old world craftsman - you know the type - guys that fix things rather than throw them away and buy a new car. In Washington, DC - a craftsman is very hard to find.

Never the less, the radiator was deemed a non-fixer and was re-cored. It is all cleaned up and repainted and waiting for me to pick up. (It is located 4 hours south-west of me near my parents house in Roanoke, VA.)

Tthe whole affair cost me about $600 which is near what I figured it would cost to get a 250 BPS unit shipped from Blanchards (before Mik bought the last one :twisted: ) Plus - the shipping on on mine will be hand carried in the back of my own car rather than bounced around half way acorss the atlantic.

Once I get it back I will post up more photos.
Good to hear you got it sorted.

I didn't think you would be able to use the old core. The tops and bottoms are generally indestructible.

When you do the reinstall make certain you use all new hoses and replace the thermostat. Give the engine block and heater core a good flush out with engine flush before putting the restored radiator back.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

I had mine recored in a little backstreet workshop. I beleive he ended up using a core for a sherpa van.

I think it cost £70

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

jonnyboy wrote:I had mine recored in a little backstreet workshop. I beleive he ended up using a core for a sherpa van.

I think it cost £70

Jon

:shock: that is so much cheaper than what it cost to have mine done!! Mine was around £240 (assuming £2.5 to the aussie dollar)