Oil pressure switch leakage

Technical questions and answers
Kippa

Oil pressure switch leakage

Post by Kippa »

There's oil covering the front diff that, as far as I can tell, is coming from the oil pressure switch. I've looked in the manual but can find no instructions on how to replace the switch. Does anybody out there have previous experience with this issue. How do I replace the switch, do I need to drain the sump, does the oil pump require priming etc etc . . . :?:
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

If your oil light is working ok you shouldn't need to replace the switch to fix the problem.

Since the oil pressure switch is on the high pressure side of the pump you won't need to re-prime the pump. The way i would go about the problem is buy a roll to teflon tape and wrap some of the stuff over the thread of the pressure swith.

Then again if the oil leak is through the body of the pressure switch wrapping teflon on the thread will do nothing :P
disco2hse

Re: Oil pressure switch leakage

Post by disco2hse »

Kippa wrote:There's oil covering the front diff that, as far as I can tell, is coming from the oil pressure switch. I've looked in the manual but can find no instructions on how to replace the switch. Does anybody out there have previous experience with this issue. How do I replace the switch, do I need to drain the sump, does the oil pump require priming etc etc . . . :?:
You don't need to drain the sump. Changing the switch is pretty easy, just screw the old and in with the new. Be quick though 'cos it will spill. You shouldn't need to prime the pump, provided you are quick.

If you do it when the engine is cold the oil will be more viscous, and it won't burn like it tends to when it's hot ;)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Kippa

oil pressure transmitter

Post by Kippa »

OK so I was wrong ! . . . the oil is actually coming from the oil pressure transmitter. Do I replace it in the same way as the oil pressure switch ?
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Yes 8)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5