Tyre choice and pressure

Technical questions and answers
Zirynx

Tyre choice and pressure

Post by Zirynx »

Having recently become the owner of a Stage 1, detailed here...

http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... =4174#4174

I have a couple of seemingly simple questions, which I need to throw out to the experienced community here.

First, tyre pressures. I have no handbook with the car and, despite doing an internet search, I've been unable to find a definitive answer.

So, what are the recommended tyre pressures for this vehicle, for on road use? Are they different when towing, even if otherwise unladen?

I should say, that she is fitted with Goodyear G90 7.50x16 tyres, on Wolf rims. So the next question is...

Second, are these tyres/rims suitable for on-road use?! Sorry if that's a dumb newbie question but, having come from a world of owning Alfas, and other Italian cars for 20 years (not that I've stopped that, with the purchase of the Stage 1), this is all very very new to me!

Thanks in advance.

John
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I haven't looked at the book But I run 35psi in the front and 33psi in the rear. I know of people who pump the tyres right up to 40psi but I think that is a bit too tight.

As for the tyres I don't really know, BFG Mud Terrains are a very popular tyre for the car though and they grip very well. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe the others have some more definitive answers.
flyingkipper

Post by flyingkipper »

mud terrains are (so I'm told) good off road.

I use General Grabbers and these have noticeably less road noise than mud terrains. Learnt this from an A/B comparison done with a friends truck with mud terrains. He's thinking of changing them as he's fed up with the road noise.

Depends what you use it for. If you are mostly on-road then get something less extreme like Grabbers or Avon Rangemasters.

Noel.
Zirynx

Post by Zirynx »

stirlsilver wrote:I haven't looked at the book But I run 35psi in the front and 33psi in the rear. I know of people who pump the tyres right up to 40psi but I think that is a bit too tight.
That's interesting. In the absence of any info, my best guess has been 30psi at the front and 35psi at the rear, which is how I've been running her.

The Haynes manual states 25psi all round (rising to 30psi at the rear for payloads over 550lb) which seemed a bit low to me. Of course, this info only relates to the 2.25 petrol, and although the V8 is obviously heavier, I wouldn't have thought there'd be that much difference required.

I also checked the manual available as a download via the sticky, which states 25psi (front) and 36psi (rear), with a 'comfort' option for the rear (when not heavily loaded) of 25psi, which seems to echo (at least the basic figures available in) the Haynes manual.

Very interestingly, for the 109 One Ton, it lists a mere 20psi front and rear, which is nothing like what I would have expected! Hence, I'm trying to go beyond my instincts and find some hard data.

Thanks all.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I use 30lb all round on road and anything down to 12lb off-road. I use Jeep Service 7.50 x 16's. I have run mine at 25lb to see how they work, the results were that while the ride was much better, grip was not improved and uneven wear increased.

The tyres are an off-road tyre and are not really recommended for on-road use. There is specific information here http://eu.goodyear.com/uk_en/tires/repo ... /index.jsp.

The pressures recommended in the manual are for general use so I would recommend experimenting to see what gives the best grip, wear, and comfort on-road. If you are going to be driving on-road mostly then I would suggest changing your tyres to radials. The rims are fine.

If you are putting a load on the vehicle then you should add more air to the rear tyres ensure their profile is not adversely affected, especially when cornering. The effect of a large trailer like yours, pushing a half deflated tyre sideways, could be to jack-knife -- scary.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5