SU carbs

Technical questions and answers
Larosto

SU carbs

Post by Larosto »

Hi,
I am thinking about changing my CD 175 carbs into SU`s. I have got a pair from an early Defender 110 V8. Does anyone have expirience on this swap?
Is the engine running better on SU`s,? Does it have more power?
What do you think or know about that idea?

have a nice day

Horst
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I know that changing from the zenith carbies to the SU's is very common on the rover V8 engine... But for what reason i'm not sure.
Davo

Post by Davo »

If you happen to read about them in old LRO magazines, the comment is usually something like, "Yes, the SUs give slightly more power and economy, and hold their tune a bit better." I think because they lack that rubber diaphragm, (which can be a weak point if it gets a hole, though it should be replaced before that), and maybe a few other things, they have tended to get a better reputation over the years.

The story is that because the factory couldn't get enough SUs they used the Zeniths instead. Who knows if it's true. So, yeah, if you've got them, put them on and see what happens!
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

I fitted SU's to mine. After I fitted them and got them tuned up it ran like a dream.

I replaced mine because:

a: My strombergs were rather well worn.
b: I had a set of SU's kickng around.

Now the fact that it ran better may be down to the fact that the SU's were in better condition that the Strombergs but I prefer SU's because its what I know and find them easier to tune. My intention was to fit 2" SU's from a Jaguar but never got round to it before I sold it.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

THe chap that sets my engines up says the SU is much easies to keep in tune.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County