Power steering mod

Technical questions and answers
Kiwistage1V8

Power steering mod

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

I've been thinking about doing a power steering mod to the stage 1. I can get an early 4 bolt rangerover box, pump, reservoir and hoses for NZ$200. By the looks of things, with a small chassis mod at the front crossmember, and some lining up for the steering box, a mounting bracket for the pump, it should be a piece of cake.

Any thoughts, hints, or otherwise would be appreciated muchly.
Stop Global Whining.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I had a serious look at this the steering rod that goes from the end of the steering column to the PAS box needs more room than the inner wing provides you will have to fit a defender inner or cut the inner about to let it turn.
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

Andy Dawe wrote:I had a serious look at this the steering rod that goes from the end of the steering column to the PAS box needs more room than the inner wing provides you will have to fit a defender inner or cut the inner about to let it turn.
Cheers. Not too much of a problem to modify the inner wing. The hard bit will be recessing the front crossmember and strengthening it, and also the mounting point for the steering box will probably have to be strengthened. The expensive bit will be getting a modification certification for it all.

Unless of course, I just take it to the friendly mechanic down the road who would never know that p-s is not standard in a stage 1. :wink:
Stop Global Whining.
primsil

Post by primsil »

I fitted a 4 bolt box to the chassis I scrapped, just had to remove the bracket the relay mounts to and drill and sleeve the holes in the chassis. didnt recess the crossmember at all.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

primsil wrote:I fitted a 4 bolt box to the chassis I scrapped, just had to remove the bracket the relay mounts to and drill and sleeve the holes in the chassis. didnt recess the crossmember at all.
Interesting, primsil. Did the shaft out the bottom of the box line up ok? I looked at that, but thought that I would have to take a couple of inches out of the front xmember.

How did it work out for you? All good?

And cheers for that bit of info!
Stop Global Whining.
primsil

Post by primsil »

It was a while ago now, but pretty sure everything lined up okay, had some pics but i think they were on the old computer.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Larry

Post by Larry »

Don't know if you've managed to do this mod yet, but there was an article in LRO some years back (probably about 10 years!) about how to do this to a series vehicle using RR parts.

If anyone has the back issues, they may be able to find it for you (sorry, mine got thrown in the skip when I moved house).
choc-ice

Post by choc-ice »

Like this? I got the scan from Jon White off another forum

Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

You little beauty!

:D

Cheers for that, extremely helpful!
Stop Global Whining.
Geoff Thomson

Power steering pump for v8

Post by Geoff Thomson »

How did you go fitting the powersteering pump? Can you just grab one off any rover v8? Any modifications/pulleys/brackets needed to fit it?

I am definitely going to fit power steering but will probably use a two-way ram rather than a range rover box.
Geoff T

1 x Ex-ARMY ragtop ("Major"), 1 x Cab/chassis project ("Hefty")