Is my S1 running to hot?

Technical questions and answers
nzlromacka

Is my S1 running to hot?

Post by nzlromacka »

Gidday guys,

I have just changed the plugs in my S1 and she is running really well. However, I note that she is now running at the top of the "N" range on the temperature guage. The truck never actually gets into the "red" H zone, but should I be concerend... for the life of me, I can't recall if the temp was high before I removed the fouled old plugs.... :oops:

What do you all think?
:?:
Andrew MacGowan
Wellington, New Zealand
1971 Series IIA ex NZ Army SWB "Skippy"
1984 Series III ex NZ Army S1 V8 LWB "Battletruck"
1965 NZ Army "No 5" Brockhouse Trailer
NZLROC Moderator
REMLR Member No 115
www.nzlroc.org.nz
Rob

Post by Rob »

well which engine spec do you have? There are two:
Detoxed and non-detoxed. The detoxed engine has
the hotter thermostat which is 88 degrees C. the non-
detoxed engines have the 82 degrees C stat. so I would
check engine numbers to be sure!!
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

my ex army one runs on the middle of the N or if im dealing to it or going up a long steep hill, which there are planty of on the east coast here, it moves up a little but never moves off the top of the N. I have found that these do cool pretty well, keep an eye on your radiator levels, and the water tank that over flow thingy. Maybe the radiator could be clogged inside, needs new coollant, or what i did to mine is gave it a good water blast from the front (be carefull not to get too close or you might beend the fins over)

There are many things to consider, also is your engine taking in enough cool air, as the standard air box intake is up behind the carbs where it sucks in already warm air.

best of luck
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

The engine could be running lean? Although it is strange that this would occur after a plug change. Unless you had some real shot ones before that had the engine running on 4.5 cylinders :P

Also, I have had plenty of troubles with the temperature senders, so it could be one thing to look at.
Stirling
nzlromacka

Post by nzlromacka »

Hi guys,

The engine is the standard Rover V8 that came with the truck from the NZ Army. Engine Number is 10G09778 CR 8.13.1. I have fitted new NGK spark plugs which are NGK BP6ES type. Could these be causing it to run hot? The truck is runs a 24V electrical system ex NZ Army with a Mallory Army 589 retrofitted distributor.

Its not that it runs hot into the actual "red zone" more that it just hovers at the top of the N zone. The oil temperature always stays in the centre of the N.

Any further thoughts guys? Do I have the correct plugs fitted? Does having a 24V ignition system mean I have incorrect plugs that are menat fro a 12V system fitted? :shock: :?:
Andrew MacGowan
Wellington, New Zealand
1971 Series IIA ex NZ Army SWB "Skippy"
1984 Series III ex NZ Army S1 V8 LWB "Battletruck"
1965 NZ Army "No 5" Brockhouse Trailer
NZLROC Moderator
REMLR Member No 115
www.nzlroc.org.nz