Sagging rear leaf spring

Technical questions and answers
nzlromacka

Sagging rear leaf spring

Post by nzlromacka »

Hi guys,

As a newbie to the Forum, I have searched without success regarding the above topic.... my ex NZ Army SI V8 has leans to the left and it is quite obvious that the left rear leaf spring has sagged. Whats the best course of action? Reset the spring? Or find a new replacement? T

he springs look in good order, but the lean to the left looks strange from behind the truck!

Appreciate any advice you may have!
Cheers
Macca
Andrew MacGowan
Wellington, New Zealand
1971 Series IIA ex NZ Army SWB "Skippy"
1984 Series III ex NZ Army S1 V8 LWB "Battletruck"
1965 NZ Army "No 5" Brockhouse Trailer
NZLROC Moderator
REMLR Member No 115
www.nzlroc.org.nz
Larry

Post by Larry »

Was it like this when you got it, or has it happended while you've been using it?

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that the springs are handed to compensate for driver weight etc. Someone will be able to confirm this (or not). It could be that it's had the wrong spring fitted.

When I got mine, it had a lean to the right. The springs were cheap enough (at the time) so just changed them and solved the problem the easy way.

It was suggested at the time that soaking the spring in a bath of old engine oil may cure it as the springs can rust up and stop sliding over each other, causing a lean. Can't say this method works one way or another though.
nzlromacka

Post by nzlromacka »

Gidday mate, thanks for the reply. The truck was like that when i got it. I have fitted a replacement, but the truck still leans! I thinkt he replacement (it was also second or third hand, was also not set correctly...am fitting yet another spring today, so shall see how we get on (fingers crossed!)
Andrew MacGowan
Wellington, New Zealand
NZLROC Moderator
REMLR Member No 115
www.nzlroc.org.nz
Larry

Post by Larry »

Did you tighten up the bolts with the whole weight of the vehicle on the spring or while it was jacked up? That can make a difference to ride height of the spring and also how long it will last (or speed up the wear on the bushes).

From what I remember, you have to leave the bolts slightly slack, then drop the vehicle, then tighten them up.

Check the part numbers, it's not inconceivable that the springs are LHD ones on a RHD, or fitted on the wrong hand.
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that the springs are handed to compensate for driver weight etc. Someone will be able to confirm this (or not). It could be that it's had the wrong spring fitted.

yes - springs are set for the specific side of the car. try swapping them over. we got it mixed up and ended up crabbing down the road too!

silly question but could there be anything heavy stored inside the truck that could make it lean?

regards
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hmm... I wonder if this what happened with mine as I one of my front ones has sagged, but the thing is I wouldn't have thought it was to compensate for the weight of the driver but the weight of the engine as it is placed over to the left...

But to contradict this... mine has sagged to the right...
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi
Springs are definitely handed to allow for driver and full tank.If you get new, get parabolics. Gives you a couple of extra incheslift as well. We'ed all like a couple of extra inches.Check that 1 or 2 of the leafs are not cracked.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

hi, i found a spring maker and black smith in town and talked to him and he said he could reset it no problems, he just wanted to see it on the truck how it was and then he knew how much he had to compensate the spring to get the truck even, as mine had a serious right hand lean.

i got the spring done leans a little left but he says will settle down in time.

try find a spring maker, not many around but he should be able to do it for you, mine all up was about $240 nz, that included removal from truck to fitting back in.

gary
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
nzlromacka

Post by nzlromacka »

Thanks for the advice Gary, but for 220.00 I can buy a brand new left rear leaf spring and U bolts and fit it myself!! I am in wellington, and have been quoted a price similar by a couple of outfits down here. I am now thinking of taking the gamble and just buying a brand new left rear spring and seeing if it fixes the problem....
Andrew MacGowan
Wellington, New Zealand
NZLROC Moderator
REMLR Member No 115
www.nzlroc.org.nz