oil consumption

Technical questions and answers
andy brown

oil consumption

Post by andy brown »

Hi guys

I have just joined the forum recently, I'm an ex-mechanic but have not owned a land rover before so have been doing my homework. I've got an idea what im looking for;
my choice is a stage 1, 3door van side on lpg. Have been in contact with a seller who has a stage1 with 40.000 mile ex -police vehicle, plus one owner for last 12 years. The only down side to the vehicle is that he says it is using some oil, although he didn't say how much. Can any one tell me what is an acceptable amount of oil consumption for a v8?

Other than oil consumption vehicle appears to be in good condition and is currently at local garage being fettled for mot. Any advice would be gratefully received. Also if any one out there has a stage 1 for sale please let me know.

Regards

Andy
andy brown
Larosto

Post by Larosto »

Hi,

mine needs 1 ltr oil on 1000 km. I think that is ok.
You should have a look at the engine, it must run smoothy at about 650/700 rpm. Sometimes the idling speed is set higher, because the engine doesn`t run good at 650/700 rpm because of wearn steering chain and camshaft. Have a look at www.v8engines.com. There you`ll find good advices. The gearbox is robust, but a bit noisy. Look at the swivel housings of the front-axel. They must not be damaged or loose too much oil. Repairing is much work and expensive. The frames are often rotten, but welding them is not rather difficult.
This are some tips, hope that they will help you.

Good luck

Horst
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

if its only using oil. you will see how bad it is by the smoke out of the exhaust, or have a look at the engine & see if its loosing oil from seals, but these engines will run untill they are in very bad shape, as in pistons that collapse when removed from the bores, badly stretched timing chains, so you should`nt have to much to worry about.. & yer they are expensive to have rebuilt, but if you do go down that road, just think how long it will last you with no probs, i had mine rebuilt, cost in total with new clutch, & cost of engine in n out £3000, but that included the water switch mounted on the rear of the engine, new timing cover, fly wheel skimmed, so alot but it was worth it, but then i went nuts & put on a 4 barrel webber, & mallory electronic distributor... prob would`ev been cheaper to buy a brand new engine...
why do we do it to our selves!!!
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

A good way of checking the condition of the engine is to have a look inside one of the rocker covers. Take one off if you can or shine a torch down the oil filler. If there is any black sludge then its rebuild time.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website