Wheels, Tyres, offsets etc.

Technical questions and answers
Larry

Wheels, Tyres, offsets etc.

Post by Larry »

I know there have been a few posts on this subject, but I'll ask again anyway as I am ignorant on the subject:

I need a new set of tyres for the Landy. The crossply ones that were on have perished/cracked over the years that it was stood (only had about 3000 miles on though!).

I have seen the adverts in the Landrover mags for full sets of tyres that come supplied with rims (at quite decent prices). I quite like the look of grey modulars or white 8 spokes on Series vehicles, so have decided that this may be the way forward.

The questions I have are:

1) Do you have to specify an offset for Modular or 8 spokes? If so, what it the best offset to have the tyres fill out the arches?
2) Is there a downside to fitting these? Does it affect the turning circle, articulation etc?
3) Is 235/85R16 the tyre size that is the equivilent Radial to the original size Crossply tyres so there is no affect to speedo etc. caused by different diameter?
4) Is it 16x7 wheels (8 spoke or modular) I need?
5) The tyres I had on were SAG copies, they were great on road and not bad off road. Any recommendations? Landy will be used mostly on road, but don't want to spoil the fun when going off road on occasions.

Apologies for this being so long winded and so many questions, just don't want to spend a fortune on the wrong tyres/wheels.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

I've got a set of Mangels white 8-spokes on my stage1. They are 16" x 7J.
Because the offset is greater then the original LR wheels your turning circle can be a little bit smaller.
I have discoverer S/T tyres on it, size 235 x 85 x 16. Very good on the road and enough grip offroad. These combination fills the arches very nice without the complete car being covered in dirt after a drive on a rainy day.

Here a picture
http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=ymhw5a& ... quality=70
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi
I have genuine 1 Ton rims giving me a nice offset with Colway 235/85/16s
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Manfred wrote:I've got a set of Mangels white 8-spokes on my stage1. They are 16" x 7J.
Because the offset is greater then the original LR wheels your turning circle can be a little bit smaller.
I have discoverer S/T tyres on it, size 235 x 85 x 16. Very good on the road and enough grip offroad. These combination fills the arches very nice without the complete car being covered in dirt after a drive on a rainy day.

Here a picture
http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=ymhw5a& ... quality=70
You should get yourself some of those rubber flares to put over your arches, gives it a real decent look (in my opinion :D ) also, do you find you have problems with mud getting stuck under the car behind the tyres? Because some mudflaps front and rear reduces it dramatically. Just my two cents.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

The muddflaps are an idea I already thought about.
In my opinion the thing that attracts me most about the stage one is the look of the series, for me that includes no flares on it... The wheels fill in the arches perfectly now without spreading dirt all over the car. Perfect!
jonnyboy

Re: Wheels, Tyres, offsets etc.

Post by jonnyboy »

Larry wrote:The questions I have are:

1) Do you have to specify an offset for Modular or 8 spokes? If so, what it the best offset to have the tyres fill out the arches?
No they are all the same offset. I had 8 spoles with 235/85R16's on my 88 Which filled the arches perfectly
2) Is there a downside to fitting these? Does it affect the turning circle, articulation etc?
Wider offset should give you a slightly smaller turning circle
3) Is 235/85R16 the tyre size that is the equivilent Radial to the original size Crossply tyres so there is no affect to speedo etc. caused by different diameter?
Yes, 235/85R16 is near as damn it 7.50x16 so your speedo will be just as inacurate as it was originally :D
4) Is it 16x7 wheels (8 spoke or modular) I need?
Yes
5) The tyres I had on were SAG copies, they were great on road and not bad off road. Any recommendations? Landy will be used mostly on road, but don't want to spoil the fun when going off road on occasions.
I have always used Colway AT's when not wanting mud tyres. Great on the road, not bad offroad and cheap @ £46 each (http://www.sowdentyres.co.uk).

I would second Tel's comment about the 1 Ton rims. I had a set on my stage 1 before I sold it and they looked really good.

Hope that helps some, in adition to what the other guys have said.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Larry

Post by Larry »

Thanks for the excellent answers. I think I know where I'm going with tyres now.

I'm not keen on the wheel arch flares, but I can see the practical side of them.

Series Landies always seem to have a too narrow track for the bodywork. The ones I've seen with aftermarket wheels that sit further out look great (8 Spokes and modulars especially), but do detract from the classic look. I didn't realise 1 ton wheels were different to standard, that seems like the best of both worlds.

Are the 1 ton rims the ones with holes round the outside?
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Are the 1 ton rims the ones with holes round the outside?
If you mean these:

Then no, they are "wolf" wheels as used on the MOD defenders. 6.5" wide so 1" wider than LWB rims but not a lot of offset so wider tyres can rub on the suspension etc. 2 versions, ANR5593 for tubed tyres and ANR4583 for tubless. They are also twice as heavy as standard rims.

These are 1 ton rims:

Which are the same as standard landy rims but wider:

They are 6.5" wide but with a lot more offset than wolf's and were standard fitment on series 2 1 ton's with 9.00x16 tyres. There is also a modern varient which take tubless tyres usually refered to 127 rims and were also standard fitment on NAS 110's. (ANR1534)

There are also 1 tonne rims which are for 101's and have a 6 stud holes so dont fit anything else.

Discovery steel rims will fit (NTC5913) which are 7" wide but are inset so tend to mean you have to adjust the steering stops to prevent the tyres rubbing. Also IIRC they are not very strong so you cant used them on 110's so I guess 109's might be an issue as well.

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
Larry

Post by Larry »

I had seen the "wolf" style rims with the holes in them on 110 HCPU's long before the Wolf came out. I had heard tehm described as Heavy Duty rims, so when you mentioned 1 Ton rims, I assumed that was what you were talking about.

The 1 ton rims in the photo are exactly what's required I think. They will keep the wagon looking original but a lot beefier. The next question of course is how easy are they to get hold of?
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

The 1 ton rims in the photo are exactly what's required I think. They will keep the wagon looking original but a lot beefier. The next question of course is how easy are they to get hold of?
Secondhand - Not very!

New - Very easy £38.50+vat from paddocks

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
db
Site Admin

Post by db »

Larry wrote:The 1 ton rims in the photo are exactly what's required I think. They will keep the wagon looking original but a lot beefier.
Agreed. Mine has 235/85 on 1 ton rims and I think they look just right. The speedo is spot on too!

David
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have a set of 16" rims which are the original type
LWB steel rims. I have Goodyear Wrangler Radials
in 7.50R16 size. I 've found they are very quiet on
the road, the gearbox whines more than anything!
lol
darkangelv24

Post by darkangelv24 »

i am also looking at tyres, only want a cheap set for offroading, will try not to use on the raod at all so will be getting some mud ones and either swapping them over at the site or before i leave.

I was looking at the Craddocks website at the colway remould mudtrax but the sizes they list are 235/70 R16, 265/75 R16. Which if either would be suitable for the Stage 1? hopefully going to fit them on some modular wheels.
darkangelv24

Post by darkangelv24 »

dont know if this is any help to anyone but it seemed usefull to me.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

From looking at this the 265/75R16s seem to be the same size as the 235/85R16s. any ideas on if they will be to wide? should be ok i think.