DISTRIBUTOR!

Technical questions and answers
mikeinbeverley

DISTRIBUTOR!

Post by mikeinbeverley »

Just coming to the end os a major re-build which has been the usual battle every inch (centimetre?) of the way & about to set up the timing when the old Lucas electronic distributor passed peacefully away. No doubt about it, like the Monty Python parrot, it is deceased. That's the way with transistorized gadgets, they die quietly, leaving no evidence. SO, does anyone out there have an old NON-ELECTRONIC distributor going spare? Perhaps someone who has just fitted one of the hugely expensive new upgrades? The old contact breaker type is easy to understand and can easily be tested & will do me for the low revs that I use. Please check your waste bins. I've torn enough hair out over this job already - I'm sure you've all been there!
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I've got one, however I think you will be looking for someone a little closer to home. The electronic distributors are so much better tho! Set and forget!! Of course, the have to work in the first place :P
mikeinbeverley

Post by mikeinbeverley »

That's true, and according to an item I'v just read on the internet, the old contact breaber type won't replace the electronic one as the former has a male fitting, & the electronic ones female - I reckon they do it on purpose!

Australia would have been a bit far - even with a cheap flight!
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

ive got an old points type with female oil pump drive, although said bit is a little worn, & is fitted with an after market electronic dizzy parts, also have a rangy coil for it, if you interested pm with an e-maill add & ill send you some pics of it. works ok i just put in a mallory set up.
why do we do it to our selves!!!
mikeinbeverley

Post by mikeinbeverley »

Thanks for that, Mattv8. Ive been thinking on this & looked at loads of websites & I'm wondering how sensible it is to try & skimp at this stage of a major rebuild. So I've been looking at options - a non- original electronic Lucas type (new) or a hard to blow new Mallory dual point (about which opinions seem to differ) The latter can be converted to electronic at a later date, as no doubt you will know. Either would get me back on the road .
What I would like to try later would be to build/buy an electronic trigger that would run off the old distributor's magnetic pick-up which still works ok. The add-on circuits/systems I have seen so far are for cb systems & not magnetic. Something else to agonize over! If it all goes pear-shaped, I'll bear your offer in mind!
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

if you look in LRM theres new v8 distributors going for about £150.
why do we do it to our selves!!!
mikeinbeverley

Post by mikeinbeverley »

Thanks - I'll take a look in W H Smiths tomorrow!
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

I replaced my old and very worn points dizzy with an electronic one I bout on ebay for about £20.

All I had to do was figure out the wiring and replace the coil with a 12V one and it ran great.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
mikeinbeverley

Post by mikeinbeverley »

I've just done the reverse - got a brand new (but dusty) Joe Lucas CB Dizzy to replace the old Opus one. NO SPARK!!! I hesitate to confess this, but it was a FUSE all along! So the old Opus that everyone slags off survived my shorting it & is in perfect working order...........well, it DID need replacing - mechanical wear etc. Proves the old adage - "No fool like an old (Land Rover-owning) fool. DON't tell my Wife!!!