5 Speed LT77 gearbox

Technical questions and answers
gary_in_nz

5 Speed LT77 gearbox

Post by gary_in_nz »

heres something different...

anyone know if i could put a 5 Speed LT77 gearbox into a stage 1??
and any major mods that i would have to do to fit it??

cheers,
gary
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

You must be reading my mind...

I am planning to do the same myself, and I sought advice from a friend of mine who is more knowledgeable than I - he said an LT77 from a V8 Disco would go straight in.

It would be great if we could keep a dialogue on this open, as I'm sure we'll both run into different problems.
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

ok cool, i sort of heard they should but dont really want to commit the $$$$ and time until i get a deffinant Yay or Nay, (yes or no).

please keep me informed as i will you if i find anything more.

cheers, gary
Basil

Post by Basil »

Skye Stage 1 wrote:You must be reading my mind...

I am planning to do the same myself, and I sought advice from a friend of mine who is more knowledgeable than I - he said an LT77 from a V8 Disco would go straight in.

It would be great if we could keep a dialogue on this open, as I'm sure we'll both run into different problems.
One problem with that i can possible see is that the gear lever remote's will be in the wrong place on a disco as opposed to a defender one, and don't quote me on this coz i am not 100% sure but i don't think you can interchange the remote's, a mate of mine had a simalar problem taking the five speed out of a range rover and putting in a defender and in the end he swapped it for a defender gearbox but i don't know if that was a LT77 or R380 gearbox he had.
Keep us updated though how you get on, intresting topic.

Cheer's Baz :D
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

Hi Basil,
that's what I thought, but apparantly not. I don't know if it exits in exactly the right place, but I don't think it would be too far out. I think you can interchange the remotes, but if you have to do that then I guess it would make more sense to source a Defender 'box from the off.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Skye Stage 1 wrote:Hi Basil,
that's what I thought, but apparantly not. I don't know if it exits in exactly the right place, but I don't think it would be too far out. I think you can interchange the remotes, but if you have to do that then I guess it would make more sense to source a Defender 'box from the off.
Maybe it was an R380 he had then mate as i sure when he put the rangie one in the lever ended up in the seat box or it was something like that, was a long time ago and i keep racking me noggin but i can't bloody remember for sure :?, old age is catching up on me lol :lol:

Cheer's Baz
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi
Can you not get someone to graft a suitable extension on the end to lever so it comes out in the right place?
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

Yep, you could do that as well - I think you'd need to extend the actual gear lever up anyway (or have really long arms); but I think it's all mild steel, so welding stuff shouldn't be a problem.

However, I may have managed to track down a Defender LT77, so may be able to circumvent these problems.

Related to this - which has taller transfer gears (both 230 t/boxes) a Defender unit, or a Stage 1 unit, or are they both the same?
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

which has taller transfer gears (both 230 t/boxes) a Defender unit, or a Stage 1 unit, or are they both the same?
Dont forget that the LT95 transferbox is part of the gearbox and not swappable

The tallest gears in an LT230 is from a 3 speed auto range rover at 1.1003:1

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_8.html#pa1

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

Hmmm - I hadn't heard that, but given you did the swap yourself, I'm certainly not going to argue.

On the upside, and to keep this thread going: a friend of mine is breaking a manual V8 Disco, so I have the LT77; assuming Jonnyboy's right about the gearbox being the same unit as the transferbox, I'll just swap the transfer box from the Disco over as well...

I'm hoping to start on this soon.

Wilf.
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

A bit of an update:

I have sold my Stage 1 hardtop, but do not worry that I have fallen from the faith: I am negotiating the purchase of a lovely Stage 1 station wagon, which was, of course, what I was originally looking for. Not perfectly straight, but should be with a year's MoT, and quite cheap. Once it's all sorted I shall post some pics. Anyway, my hardtop should be gone by the end of the week, and I shall point the buyer in the direction of this website, so you may well see it again...

More relevantly:
Jonnyboy was, as you might expect, spot on in his assertation that the gearbox and transfer box is one unit on the Stage 1, so this would make swapping over the LT230 from the Disco a necessity. I think this swap would work rather well, as I wouldn't have thought Disco gears would be too high a ratio for the stage 1. I shan't now be carrying it out in the near future, but keep us updated on what you do, Gary. I may well come back to the idea when I have my new Stage 1 sorted.

I shall keep you guys updated.
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

hi, well my update from me...

my gearbox mod is on hold, they arent to easy to get a hold of here(lt77), and at the moment i'm rebuilding my front diff, axels, cv's, brakes, bassically the whole front end.

I bought myself a 1988 Nissan Safari/Patrol short wheel base 4.2L diesel, to use as my off road machine now, so my landy will be getting restored.

Its not that the Landrovers aren't cappable machines, i just cant afford to be in the middle of nowhere and have it break!!! It's gonna still be used but i wont be pushing her as hard as i used to.
And besides, they look just as good shiney as they do muddy! and nothing can beat the v8 when they are a revving :twisted: :twisted:

gary
primsil

Post by primsil »

Stage1s dont break that easily. The weakest part is the front axles, but with the detuned engine they are pretty safe.
There are two LT77 gearboxes in rangies, the early one called longstick has the gearlever closer to the bellhousing with the transfer lever behind it, the later one (short stick) has the gearlever nearer the tailhousing, which will interfere with the seat box.
There are several ratios in the lt230 transfer case, from the 1.6 in the diesel defende, 1.410, 1.22 and 1.006. The 1.22 is the most common, behind the v8 manuals and ZF autos. I have several 1.22s but am looking for a 1.6 if you get one you want to swap.
The standard stage 1 ratio is 1.336, but it doesnt have the ocerdrive that the ZF and five speed do so is a big difference. There are also .996 gears available for the 4 speed box.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
stephen

Post by stephen »

gday guys im new to this what about auto conversions Ihave stage1V8 fueled by 2 bl holly on standard modified manifold
primsil

Post by primsil »

What about auto conversions? Any RR one can be used, ZF the better one. Same as modding a defender basically.
1985 110, 3.9 auto