Engine overhaul

Technical questions and answers
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Larry wrote:New valves would need re-seating/lapped in.
So you'll need to check and adjust tappet preload anyway, wether you use new of re grinded valves. Right?!

Hopefully piston rings and camshaft arrive today so I can carry on with the build up.
steven 90

Post by steven 90 »

Larry wrote:Saw an interesting way to clean up valves on a TV programme about motors in Bangladesh. Just put them into a pillar drill and hold a bit of Emery cloth round them while they're rotating, moving it up and down.

New valves would need re-seating/lapped in.
New valves normaly don't need machine work anymore.Mine are tested and where ok.

Steven
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Received the RPI camshaft set today. Looks good! New camshaft bearings are in also, so it's ready to be fitted.

Started with putting in and measuring opening of the piston rings, but found a problem when fitting them on the pistons afterwards. The rings are to thin, max. opening allowed is 0.13 mm and mine were 0.50..
Wordked it out and found I got the wrong set of rings. These are for a high compression engine, so project is on a small stand still.

Well no man overboard. I'm on a 2 week surf trip, so when I come back the new rings should be there so I can finish the thing of..

Can't wait for the moment firing her up for the first time 8)
steven 90

Post by steven 90 »

Manfred wrote:Received the RPI camshaft set today. Looks good! New camshaft bearings are in also, so it's ready to be fitted.

Started with putting in and measuring opening of the piston rings, but found a problem when fitting them on the pistons afterwards. The rings are to thin, max. opening allowed is 0.13 mm and mine were 0.50..
Wordked it out and found I got the wrong set of rings. These are for a high compression engine, so project is on a small stand still.

Well no man overboard. I'm on a 2 week surf trip, so when I come back the new rings should be there so I can finish the thing of..

Can't wait for the moment firing her up for the first time 8)

How will you fit the camshaft bearings ?? I was told you need a special tool to get it in.
Mine where ok so i didn't have to do it with my engine.

S
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Made bushes to pull them out and tap them in. Will make a picture of the tool later.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Some more progress now. Engine is nearly ready to put in the car. Just pulled the old lump and gearbox out.

I am going to run it just on LPG now with an EFI inletmanifold of a 3.5 rangerover

Some pictures of the progress on http://manfred2266.fotopic.net/c266670.html
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

If you are going to run it only on LPG, did you consider increasing the compression ratio of the engine to get better performance and fuel efficiency?

I'm also changing my manifold to an EFI manifold, got the manifold sitting at home with the injector holes welded up. I would be interested to see how you have rigged up the accelerator cable, that idle valve on the back and those vacuum hoses on the side of the plenum.

Stirling
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

I considered that indeed, but just didn't have the money to buy new pistons at the time... I went up a bit from 8.13:1 to 8.25, but that won't be a big improvement. Got some extra off the heads as well.
Maybe an investment for later, would be great to go to 10:1 or so indeed!

I don't exactly know how I'm run the hoses and cables to the plenum, Think I will do it one by one when the engine is in.
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

While higher CR pistons would of helped, you could have just shaved material off the block and intake manifold, you would want to aim for 12:1. In any case, you could always get away with a tin head gasket to preserve as much CR as possible.

I checked out your pictures, I see you got yourself a high quality timing chain and cam. Very nice. Makes me regret going for the standard timing chain and 3.9 cam. I'll be interested to see how it goes. Especially with extractors... Something on my wishlist
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

That's right, bought myself a piper high torque cam from RPI. From what I heard it is a good investment..

I wasn't actually planning on going just on LPG at the time of the rebuilt. Maybe I would have done it a bit different... O well, this setup should be a big improvement on what I had in terms of power and torque. Don't want it to be a racecar, but a drivable friend for everyday use. This setup should do for that imh opinion :)
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Recent pictures also uploaded on http://manfred2266.fotopic.net/c266670.html
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

Nice work Manfred.

I've most of the bits to rebuild my 3.5 when I finally get around to it.

I've got some new 60 thou over 10.5:1 Hi-comp pistons, a new stump puller cam from the UK (not sure of specs, but ground for torque I was told), a near new mitutoyo stainless double row adjustable timing gears and chain, a new set of hydraulic lifters, new big ends, and little end bearings, new set of cam bearings, all new exhaust valves, a complete set of seats and guides and a new complete set of valve springs.

I've managed to cobble all these bits together off our local internet auction site over the last year or 2, and all up so far has cost me just over NZ$600 (about 200 English pounds). I also have a edelbrock performer manifold and 465 holley 4 barrel carby which is already installed on the old motor I got the manifold for NZ$200 2nd hand, and the carb was about NZ$450 new. I need/want to get a set of tubular manifolds, hi volume oil pump, and I wouldn't mind putting in a set of new rocker shafts etc if they come up at the right price. If a set of new inlet valves come up I'll grab them too.

In the machining side of things I want to get the crank/rods/pistons balanced, the block line bored and the heads shaved and flowed.

I'm hoping to get around the 220+ hp mark when she finally gets cranked up. A big improvement on the stock 90 odd hp donkey the stage 1 came out with!

At the moment I'm putting up with changing 1 of the spark plugs every 500 km's, she's got next to no compression in that cylinder, but still runs like a dream until it fouls that plug.

Thanks for the pics Manfred, I might just get inspired to rip the old girl to bits this winter...

:)
Stop Global Whining.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Project is finally coming to an end.

Will upload new pics later, but have some small vid's on youtube to get an idea.
You can view them on:
http://www.youtube.com/user/maffiee