Hello from Rotterdam

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Dave Triffid

Hello from Rotterdam

Post by Dave Triffid »

Hello all,

I'm Dave, originally from the UK but resident in Rotterdam for the last 15 years or so, and have just bought a Stage One.

It's my second Land Rover (I had a 4 cil. series III for about a fortnight before I traded it in for this one)

I've got almost no experience with auto mechanics, but am hoping that mucking about with my new toy will help me learn. Hopefully it'll be used as my company vehicle, but at the moment it's at the garage getting serviced and generally tarted up mechanically.

There'll be some more photos once it's out and I've put a fresh coat of paint on it.

Thanks in advance for al the info and expertise here, and I hope I'll be able to contribute something as well. I've already got a tip for the people looking for stickers, but that belongs in another topic, I presume.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice truck you have there, what condition is it in?

1st tip for you:

Unless your planning on driving in a lot of sand, change those tyres!

They look like Michelin XS, mine had them fitted when I first bought it. Great in sand, never get punctures but lethal on wet tarmac.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Basil

Post by Basil »

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum mate and a nice looking stage 1 as well.

Is that the heater vent on the r/h wing? haven't seen a square one before :?

Cheer's Basil
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
Dave Triffid

Post by Dave Triffid »

Thanks for the welcome lads, much appreciated.

It's in a pretty decent condition. Apparently it was kept in a barn for the last few years, and that shows.

The chassis is good, the body just has the usual little bits of corrosion round the rivets, and the V8 sounds very tasty indeed.
The brakes were shot, so I'm having those seen to. It's also getting a full service, having all the seals underneath replaced, and getting an APK (Dutch MOT).
The interior is fine, only needs some mats really, door rubbers are sound, and there's an 80L LPG tank fitted, so that's a plus. The one thing I do need to do myself is replace the channels etc around the windows, so if anyone's got a favourite supplier they could recommend for these parts I'd appreciate it (in the UK or NL).

Thanks for the tip about the tyres, Jonnyboy. Because it had been standing for a while I was thinking of getting them replaced soon, but now I'll do it straight away. It'll be mainly used as a company vehicle, so I think I'll have road tyres fitted, and get some spare terrain ones when I've saved my pocket money :-)

Basil - I haven't got a clue what that vent is for, just thought it was standard, but I'll get back to you.

One more thing - if any of the Dutch members recognise it (I think it was originally bright blue and its unusual feature is the bull bar made of scaffolding poles!) I'd appreciate anything you could tell me about its history.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Have seen that car before on pictures, have you bought it from Ter Horst @ the Krim??
Dave Triffid

Post by Dave Triffid »

Manfred: Yep, that's right. Have you ever been there? It's definitely worth a trip. Interesting bloke, interesting business...
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Yeah i've been there quite a lot. We had a range rover classic before. So we usually had parts from him. After that we bought a lot of stuff for an "88 S3 hybrid on a rangerover chassis. They have everything you need.
After that we sold him our rrc and bought his discovery 2 td5..

Good to see another stage one in the Netherlands again!
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi Dave
Welcome to the Forum from Sunny Cornwall.Your Stage 1 looks like a Goodin.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Dave Triffid

Post by Dave Triffid »

Cheers Tel, thanks for the welcome.

Another week and I'll be able to hit the road with it and really give it a good test. Might even nip over to Billing with it next month...
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Yep
I'm going to Billing, camping for a few days.Took the Stage 1 last year. In the comparative comfort of the old 2 door this year.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County