Over Drive - Trans Tunnel Install

Technical questions and answers
firemanshort

Over Drive - Trans Tunnel Install

Post by firemanshort »

I finally got my over drive installed on my gearbox. I installed the proper Stage One shifting levers and am now trying to put the trans tunnel back on. Here, I am stuck.

I cut a small hole in the tunnel per the instructions - but the small hole is not enough. There needs to be a great big hole to allow for the large bolt that fixes the rocking part of the linkage.

Or, do I have something wrong? Can someone post of a photo of thier trans tunnel modifications required to fit the O/D shifting lever?

I will post photos of my mess later this week.

-Firemanshort
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
db
Site Admin

Post by db »

I don't know if these help but Terry sent them in a while back and you may not have seen them:

http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/overdrive/index.html

David
firemanshort

Photos

Post by firemanshort »

Here are some photos of what I am trying to do. The photos linked above only illustated the interior and it had the floor mat over the steel tunnel so I could not see the access hole created.

It may be hard to see in the photos - but the big bolt and red colored pivot arm stick out to the side and need about 0.5 to 1 inch of extra clearance.

(The red trans tunnel is a rusty bit that I hacked to just see what type of hole I needed. It is being replaced with a replacement one without rust.)

-firemanshort
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
DPuckey

Overdrive

Post by DPuckey »

Think that you are trying to fit a Range Rover not Stage 1 overdrive lever, Mine is fitted with an overdrive and it comes up through the right centre of the cover plate under where the centre seat normally sits. The lever is certainly a factory fit as I have had a couple of overdirves with the same fitting. Check the mmanual which is available on line here.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

That is the stage 1 leaver set up you are using. Its the range rover one that comes up through where the centre seat goes.

One question.

Is it possible to turn the pivot around?

Looking at your pictures, if you un bolt the pivot and flip it around the leaver would be further away from the gearbox and it might fit better.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

MyStage 1 is Moth balled at the moment. I have the sound deadening rubber on mine. I'll pullit back and have a look.Take a piccy. Dont remember seeing a big keyhole like that though.
Also, i have a much better tunnel than that if you need one. I have scrapped a Stage 1 recently.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County