Budget 2007

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
Larry

Budget 2007

Post by Larry »

Not really relevant to our international users, this one!

I was very glad to see when I checked on the online DVLA vehicle enquiry that my tax for the Landy had stayed in the same tax band for this budget.

Wasn't really paying attention to the Budget, but the missus told me that so called "Gas Guzzlers" and 4x4's had gone up to £400 a year! :cry: . Couldn't find any more detail on the news or papers so went on the DVLA site this morning only to find that this only applies to post 2001 vehicles . . . phew! :)

Anyway, if you haven't already found it, this link is quite useful (if your vehicle is registered in the UK):

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/index.jsp and click on Vehicle Enquiry.
You can also check your MoT status here:
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/

Would be interesting if anyone who has exported a Stage 1 from the UK put in the old UK registration/license plate number to see what the vehicle status comes up as.
si_guru

Post by si_guru »

Actually the headline £300 only appiles to post April 2006 cars.

My brother has a band G car... a M-B CLS55AMG. I told him his RFL had gone up 90 quid. Guess what he said?? ;)

TBH I think we should tax dirty cars, and that really increased fuel tax is the best way. (IMHO)
1980 SIII Stage One 109"
1965 SIIA 88" (1/3 Owner)
1962 Massey Ferguson MF35
2005 Vauxhall Vectra SRi (205bhp Diesel)
2006 Citroen Berlingo HDi (Baby Bus)
1997 Triumph Speed Triple
1987 Avondale Avocet
Larry

Post by Larry »

It's a shame that they don't give you a discount on your car tax for converting your Landy to LPG (and freeze tax on LPG indefinatley).

I've never really got into the "green" thing in a big way, but surely it makes more sense to encourage someone to keep an environmentally clean (ie. LPG'd) vehicle on the road for longer, than encourage them to buy a new wagon every 3-4 years. The carbon emissions building a new car must be huge.

Never understood the logic behind recycling being the main focus for environmental campaigns either. Better not to use a resource in the first place than recycle it later.

Agree with you on the fuel tax though, much fairer. The Granny who does 6 miles a week in a Nissan Micra to get her pension shouldn't be paying the same as a Rep in a BMW tearing up 35,000 miles a year.
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Hi Guys

Tax on gas guzzlers is nonesense anyway.

"These cars make up such a tiny proportion of the car population, their effect on world CO2 levels is so small its almost immeasurable"
Harry Metcalfe Evo Magazine April 2007

A tiny, miniscule fraction of a percent of emmisions is not going to stop global warming

The whole thing is just a distraction and a way of flacid knee jerk politicians to make it look like they are being "green" and get money.

The truth is most of the worlds pollution is from the way humans produce electricity via power stations. Have you heard a word from the politician anywhere in the world blaming himself or the government - Yeah right

Sad to say the only real or viable solution to stop greenhouse gases is nuclear power stations which just shifts us to a whole new set of problems.

Regards

Ginga
Theres always a way !
Larry

Post by Larry »

You may be right about going nuclear as the "Green way". Although it does leave future generations massive problems to sort out.

I have been pondering using Solar Panels and/or Wind generators to charge batteries and use an inverter to power lights in the house. Not really because its green, but they're cool gadgets! Very high purchase cost for that sort of kit though.

I have used a solar panel to keep the Landy battery in condition before, now thinking of one of those wind generators for boats that charge 12v batteries. My drive is like a windtunnel on the calmest of days, so should work. Not sure if that counts as "Green" though :)
si_guru

Post by si_guru »

Ginga,

You are correct, but I think anything that in some way makes people buy cleaner cars is good...

SG
1980 SIII Stage One 109"
1965 SIIA 88" (1/3 Owner)
1962 Massey Ferguson MF35
2005 Vauxhall Vectra SRi (205bhp Diesel)
2006 Citroen Berlingo HDi (Baby Bus)
1997 Triumph Speed Triple
1987 Avondale Avocet
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Good point, well put.
Theres always a way !
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

the way i look at it is that i only n prob lot of other people who have big engines is that i only do about 5000 miles a yr, n people with small engine cars do loads more miles, so who is causing more polution :?:
why do we do it to our selves!!!