Snorkel???

Technical questions and answers
Larry

Post by Larry »

I may be wrong, but I think early Range Rovers only had the air cleaner box without the rest of the gubbins. Maybe thats where the engine came from?

Plastic bag and a rubber band could help the dizzy. Not pretty, but functional!
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

there was never a spray cover for the distributor!
one can be easily made by cutting an old oil can (app. 4 litres).
it fits over the top and the front of the distributor.
I had it fixed with a tierip.
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

Well, distinct lack of a little chimney in my truck although the airbox would draw semi warm air i guess, by being where it is.

"If it ain't v8, take it back"
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

hehe. No chimneys in my truck either.

Mine used to look just like yours gary, until the edelbrock and 465 holley got chucked in! I used that humongous air filter on my 4 cyl diesel powered woodsplitter. Works a treat!

Man, I'm gonna get rid of that damn 28V 100 amp generator and all that associated codswallop that goes with it soon too. I have a 24V Hitachi alternator to throw on it.

I see the RF suppression distributor is gone from yours. Unless yours never had one? I've got a mallory electronic dizzy setup in mine with a crane cams ignition module.

I can highly recommend the edelbrock and 4 barrel. Cheaper to run, (if you drive, errrm, sensibly.. lol) and lots more power.
Stop Global Whining.
Larry

Post by Larry »

From the parts manual, it looks like non detoxed vehicles didn't have the warm air tube.

It also looks like the models for the German, Norwegian and Swiss markets didn't have the warm air unit either, but did have a similar air cleaner assembly to the one Flying kipper described.

I've started wondering if the Air Intake Engineer at Solihull was either bored or thought he'd lose his job if he didn't keep coming up with new designs for the same engine! :)
db
Site Admin

Post by db »

Larry wrote:I may be wrong, but I think early Range Rovers only had the air cleaner box without the rest of the gubbins. Maybe thats where the engine came from?
Not sure about the 'rest of the gubbins' but I was given an exhaust manifold
with air intake chimney which came off a Rangie and appears to be just the same
as the Stage 1 version. So there must have been some kind of intake for it.

David
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

Kiwistage1V8, good to hear about the extra power these trucks need as much grunt to get up the hills on the tarmac over here haha!!

hey, where did you get your manifold and elderbrock and 4 barrel carbi from??
i have been really keen on setting it up but not many shops in gisborne are into "sprucing" up old v8's, mostly catered for the Rice Burners car market, and sort of show no interest or they cant be bothered dealling with a 21 year old.

I have pretty much worked out that the distributor is a Ford V8 one, so that sort of helps a bit, no rev limiter like the standard army ones had.

cheers, gary
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

gary_in_nz wrote:Kiwistage1V8, good to hear about the extra power these trucks need as much grunt to get up the hills on the tarmac over here haha!!

hey, where did you get your manifold and elderbrock and 4 barrel carbi from??
i have been really keen on setting it up but not many shops in gisborne are into "sprucing" up old v8's, mostly catered for the Rice Burners car market, and sort of show no interest or they cant be bothered dealling with a 21 year old.

I have pretty much worked out that the distributor is a Ford V8 one, so that sort of helps a bit, no rev limiter like the standard army ones had.

cheers, gary
I got my manifold from trademe, $200, and the 465 is a brand new one from Auto One with the 4wd kit, that was $450 (I think).

I also scored a set of lukey headers for $150 and a set of new +.040 hypertech 10.5:1 pistons for $200. You can get some good bargains on there if you try. I also scored a near new "stump puller" cam with a set of mitutoyo stainless duplex timing gears and chain for $150.

I've just got to get around to whipping the engine out and stripping it down. It oils up one plug after about 3000 kms. Been like it for ages, and not getting worse so I am not too bothered about it.

Its quite amazing really, I put the manifold and holley on it, and an overdrive, and it sits on 110 with ease, and uses less fuel.

BTW: I probably know where to get an overdrive reasonably cheap if you are interested. I paid $200 for mine c/w linkages. I've seen them go on tm for over $500.
Stop Global Whining.