LT95Gear box - IN Neutral but still drives

Technical questions and answers
Ginga

LT95Gear box - IN Neutral but still drives

Post by Ginga »

Hi Guys

Just swapped a gear box for my old one (which broke with the view of repairing at my leisure)
The new gear box (scrapper of unknown origin) is in neutral yet still drives forward.
I cant change gear either
It selected gears before i put it in ????

When I disengage the clutch I lose Drive so the clutch works

I can change high and low range (at least they work) with the neutral disengaging drive (which also works - At least something has gone my way)

Before I throw a hissy fit and scrap the whole car to buy another one does anyone have any ideas that may help.

Regards

Ginga
(Now vey fed up having swapped out 3 gearboxes in less than a year)
Theres always a way !
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Make sure the gear lever is located correctly in the top of the box. I had a similar problem with mine. I had to move a sprinloaded gate in the top of the box to get the end of the gear lever to engage correctly.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

What he said!!!

Most likely the gear lever was housed when a gear was engaged meaning the end did not seat properly into the center of all the selector fork rod ends-----if you have every looked at a gearbox inside, then you know what i am talking about----see photo below. I had the same problem when i rebuilt mine except i was lucky enough to figure it out before i put the box back in. You should be able to get it engaged properly with the box still in the truck. Worst case scenario, you might have to remove the tunnel cover and take the top plate of the box off so you can manually put the selector forks back into neutral and then house the gear lever!!! Good luck.

check out this photo, basically the end of you gear lever is not in this opening. It is outside somewhere, so you can still move it around but you will never get it into neutral!!!

Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Thank you gents
You were correct
The gearbox was stuck in first with the relevant selector at the top (as your picture) nearly in the neutral position (but not all the way and the selector fork still in the first position) so it looked like everything was ok.

Now have gears. First is a bit sticky still but seems to be getting better
I figure it is because the box had very little oil in it and had been sat around for 12 years in the previose owners garage

I notice the box in the picture has the back end stripped out and the transfer box out.

Is that how I would sort my broken spare box?
Are there any manuals, or literature on servicing this box?

Many thanks

Regards

Ginga
Theres always a way !
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Theres a copy of the V8 supplement, which covers the LT95, on my website here. Its not a great copy but might help you.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

I used the 90/110 manual(part 2 if i remember) and it has some pretty spot on and clear instructions for an LT95 tear down and rebuild.