Chassis outrigger replacement

Technical questions and answers
Larry

Chassis outrigger replacement

Post by Larry »

Anyone got any tips/tricks for replacing the front RHS chassis outrigger (the one that is adjacent to the gearbox cross member).

It's the only original one left on the chassis now. All the others were replaced at garages, but this time I'm determined to do the job myself as time is not an issue anymore (used to be when this was my everyday car) and the parts are cheap.

Skill maybe an issue. I'm not the best welder in the world, but how else do you learn!

It looks straight forward, but I've thought that many times in the past on this vehicle and regretted it! :D
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

I would be very careful welding on a chassis outrigger if you are not an experienced welder. Vertical up welding is not easy. And, to make it even harder, many L.R chassis's are not *cough* overly sound. Chassis rails are not thick to begin with, and it is easy to blow holes in the chassis wall.

oops, I just thought, if you are using a mig welder, it won't be anywhere near as difficult. My advice above, is for using an arc welder.

Good luck!

:D
Stop Global Whining.
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

hey,
just like kiwi said above make sure you dont blow anyholes through, try to use a mig welder if u can and just make sure like with any welds its a good clean surface, best of luck
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
Larry

Post by Larry »

Thanks for the advice. I've only got access to a MIG welder anyway. Never really liked Arc welding, too bloody messy.

Had a look at the weekend and I reckon I might be able to get away with plating the front face of the outrigger. Might be a lot less risky.

Will probably only buy some time by plating it, but at least it would get through an MoT test!

Is grinding off the old outrigger the best way of removing it. I've seen people using air chisels before to remove this sort of kit, but the grinder seems a bit safer.
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

Grinder for removal of your outrigger.

Still, even with a mig, care should be paramount when welding L.R chassis!

Good luck.
Stop Global Whining.
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

btw.

Arc welding is no more messy than mig, except for a bit of slag. Its certainly cheaper, and IMO, easier. I have only used mig a couple of times, as I really have never had the need for it. My arc/tig does all I ever want, and the oxy/acetylene plant for exhaust tubing, cutting and the like.

I'm sure mig has its place, and I guess its just because I have never really used it, but apart from welding aluminium, what can mig do, that my arc welder can't?
Stop Global Whining.
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

ive just done this last week, i made my owne outrigger nal, cut old one off, then plated the chassis 1st so had a good surface to weld new rigger to, just make sure you dont let the bulk head drop, used bottle jack to hold mine up. just bit diff welding across the top of the outrigger. didnt come out 2bad a job, im not a great welder either. if you make your owne, dont forget the bolt sleeve...
Larry

Post by Larry »

I think I'll buy one, they don't cost too much in the scheme of things.

I have been thinking about a method to keep the bulkhead and body up without getting too much in the way. Bottle jack was what I came up with as well, so glad it worked.