Newbie from Derby

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Larry

Newbie from Derby

Post by Larry »

Hi folks,

very glad to find this forum. Just browsing through has answered a lot of my questions on my Stage 1 V8 already.

Had my Stage 1 for about 10 years now. Just drove it at first as everyday car, enjoying the V8. Been working abroad, so Landy has basically not moved for 7 years and is now in need of lots of TLC.

Now I've actually had some time to look at it a bit more closely, it seems that I may have an odd one. The VIN is a DVLA issued one (SABTVR) so can't seem to get any info on it, its had a few mods by previous owners, but is basically:

Windowed hard top with Safari roof
Single piece windscreen
Stage 1 radiator surround with 110 grille screwed on it
Been resprayed (was Masai Red) now Maroon-ish.

Everything that should be there for a Stage 1 is there, but it ain't exactly standard. A bloke I met who worked at LR in '70s and '80s reckons it may have been a LR test wagon, but I'm not sure. Anyone with a theory is welcome to comment!

Photo (looking a bit sad. Now lots shinier!)
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/ ... MG0640.jpg
KR

Post by KR »

LR test wagon, that would be cool! 8)

I'm not sure if I understand the rarity about the windshield and grill though, kind of hard to see?
Larry

Post by Larry »

The grille isn't rare. Never able to get my hand on a Stage 1 grille to replace it. Although always worried that a Stage 1 grille is a bit open and therefore prone to foreign objects going through it.

LR bloke reckoned they had several Stage 1's at Lode Lane that were test wagons, and they had single piece windscreens fitted. He reckoned that some of the engine components were fitted in different places too. A few odds n' sods on mine are not where they should be (expansion bottle on bulkhead).

I'm not sure myself if it is anything special (apart from being special to me). I certainly haven't seen another one with a Safari roof on a hard top. But I'm happy to be corrected. With the DVLA VIN, I can't do the usual Traceability search to see how it came out of the factory.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Larry
Your truck may be a special. Screen is Series but crossed with a 90/110 screen. I would imagine grill is also original.Heres what i found during a search.Interesting. I to have a transitional model in my HiCap as i have 110 seats fitted. Your vehicle might be 110 inches long. Check it out hub to hub.
Tel
SABTVR Prototype Land Rover Defender 110, no further details available

You have entered one or more VIN codes not fully known to me. When you did not make a typing error, would you please be so kind as to provide me with details, so that I can enlarge the information set of CalVIN?
Last edited by Bumpkin on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

there were aftermarket windscreens availlabale with a single windscreen.
look at brooklands series two and three books.

come on boys, my car is special to me, but would not there be a fair change that a a pre productionmodel would not turn up in the bashall collection?

do you homework before you say something like this!
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

ONNO
Just going by what the CALVIN VIN information showed up.It actually states that the vehicle is a prototype.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Larry

Post by Larry »

VIN is SABTVR3433258169

I had a look on the DVLA website vehicle search and it reckons that year of manufacture is 1983, but wasn't registered until 1990!

DVLA weren't very helpful when I enquired about finding out more info. The best they could offer is a Form V888 "Request for Information" which costs £5 and basically gives you a list of all previous keepers. This might be interesting so I'll send that off at the weekend and see what I get.

I am mostly interested in the body configuration that it left the factory as it's fitted with a windowed safari roof with alpine lights. Looking at the Stage 1 V8 brochure, they were never offered like this as standard. Just curious.

The scuttle vents above the bonnet seem to have always been black (no sign of body colour) which makes me think, along with the other stuff, that maybe someone in the past tried to make it look like a 110.
KR

Post by KR »

Interesting.. keep us posted!