Some pics of my 110

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
flyingkipper

Some pics of my 110

Post by flyingkipper »

Thought it was about time I posted a couple of pictures of my 110, if you see me around Twickenham do wave... there aren´t many other 110s round ´ere!

She´s just passed an MOT without anything required, which must be the first time I´ve had a vehicle do that for literally YEARS!

Noel.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Look's a nice straight truck mate, should give you year's of pleasure.
have you or previous owner's given the chassis a good once over with a good waxoil? if not i would highly recomend it to help keep mot record in good shape for the future :)

Cheer's Baz
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
flyingkipper

Post by flyingkipper »

waxoyling a great idea as you say, could do with sorting out the door bottoms too actually.... the chassis is good, apart from the rear crossmember which has been heavily welded.

The last owners appear to have concentrated on more trick maintenance items like fitting a Mallory twin point coil which I have heard mixed opinions about, and er, I have no idea where you get replacement points from (real steel or RPI I suppose?).

Notice you run LPG, was worth the effort converting? I covered 1000 miles on holiday last week and have almost no money left now!
Basil

Post by Basil »

Hi mate, i think the conversion was well worth it, i have had it about seven years now and i use it as my everyday car, some people say you notice a drop in performance but i haven't and the saving in my fuel bill allows me to keep her a v8.

I think you can but door repair channel of a guy on ebay if thats any help to you but i can't remember who he is but he has it on quite often.

Cheer's Barrie
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi Noel,

Nice truck!

It looks like you have the early split side passenger doors? They seem to be rare as hens teeth so if you can repair them do it.

Paddocks list a door bottom repair peice that I think is a length of the steel channel that makes the frame.

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/SERIES/ ... piece.html

These guys seem good for mallory bits:

http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/category.php?id=17&page=2

or rimmer's

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/rove ... Components

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
flyingkipper

Post by flyingkipper »

Thanks for the advice.

Will spray up the door bottoms with waxoyl and they should be ok for a while I hope. Other than that the two part doors are pretty good and you get proper lift up doorhandles!

Looked at those links and can't believe I'm in for £10 each to replace the points! At least I suppose you do them half as often as there's two sets.

I also need to get a new ballast resistor as the one on it seems a bit high at 3 ohms and it always refused to start unless you shorted the ballast out. I trawled the net and Mallory seem to say you need 0.75-1.5 ohms with their coils, so I bodged it up with some big wirewounds from Maplins. Must get a proper one sorted.

Will look at LPG later this year. Don't know whether to do that first or to sort out the noisy gearbox - it's noisy in Neutral and 1,2 and 3 but OK in top. As far as I have read "they all do that"...

Noel.
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hi Noel
Nice looking 110 you have there. From the description of your gearbox, it sounds like the layshaft bearings are whining. Mine does that too, so I have bought a spare box to put in just as soon as it gets too bad. It has sounded the same ever since I had it and it hasn't got any worse. On the good side, I can't hear the missus above the gearbox. A plan with no drawbacks. :o
All the best, Huzey.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
flyingkipper

Post by flyingkipper »

Thanks, that is sort of reassuring, although the exhaust has started blowing so it´s getting even noisier now!

Noel.