Anyone fitted a winch bumper?

Technical questions and answers
AAXD

Anyone fitted a winch bumper?

Post by AAXD »

I've been looking for a while now to find a suitable HD bumper for my Stage 1 and so far have had no success. It would appear that a Defender bumper will not bolt directly up to the Stage 1's DumbIrons due to the spring perches welded to the sides. Also a regular series bumper is out of the question due to the front crossmember/radiator. Has anyone found a way around this problem? Thanks.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Like this u mean. I originally made this one to fit my LWB Series 2.It fitted the Stage 1 OK.I'll do another piccy of the chassis brackets.
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/ ... 0430-1.jpg[/img][/img]
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I had the same problems as you and ended up building my own by adapting items that were available at the time. I purchased a Galvanised Heavy duty front bumper from Marshland off road. It is made from 5mm steel and is perfect for fending off cabs in London.

This is the only link I can find to them.

http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/new ... mper.shtml

The bumper was specific to the series LR and has longer chassis brackets so it fitted the Stage One perfectly. To note a Defender bumper is apparently longer in length (wheel to wheel) and sticks out a bit too much on a Series also having shorter chassis brackets.

The winch mount was home built. As i could not get a suitable bumper to look right or find one that would not need chopping around. I chose to fit it above the bumper to keep the Ramp Angle. I used a motherboard kit from Alfred Murray winches who sell the excellent Milemarker winch.

http://www.4x4winches.com/index.htm

I explained what I was trying to achieve and he sent me the motherboard and some L brackets he had lying around. I Mounted the motherboard and then welded the L brackets underneath to line up with the chassis. The end of the brackets have holes on them which I drilled and bolted some spare suspension bolts through the chassis. To the front of the chassis I welded on some plates that stick out forewards of the chassis dumb irons so I could bolt the whole lot together using the D rings. This was not really needed but (belt and braces). I then sent the lot of for galvanising.
I hope this and the pictures help.

Alfred Murray did state he could get a custom made ARB bumper made and galvanised for me but $$$$$$$$$ rolled across my mind.

Cost for this was £120 for the bumper from the Peterborough Show and £30-40 for the motherboard kit. Some head scratching and cut fingers. So far I've winched trees landrovers etc with no movement or problems.

Last edited by Andy Dawe on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AAXD

Post by AAXD »

Bumpkin & Andy, thanks so much for the photos. Looks like I'll be making some trips to the Metal yard.
Mik

Post by Mik »

Andy, did you make the nice rocksliders yourself ? I've been looking for some sturdy rocksliders for my STW project, and have only been able to find a manufacturer in Canada - and the carriage to UK or Denmark were something like 500 USD...
Thanks
Michael
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

http://www.mill-services.com/html/sillb ... ils_0.html

Try here you will have to make up a better fitting kit than the one supplied as it's a bit feeble.
Mik

Post by Mik »

Thanks Andy - I'll have a look at them
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

That looks like a hydraulic winch you have there Andy? Is it pto powered or an electric pump?
Stop Global Whining.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Well spotted its a ZF High output power steering pump fitted in much the same place as a Range Rover item. On a Milemarker H12 winch.

http://www.4x4winches.com

Makes quite interesting reading if your in the market for a winch.
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

Very nice. I am impressed!

I have a fairly low power electric job. About a 7000lb I think. It will pull the landy out of the mud, up some fairly steep stuff but anything too serious it gives up. Pretty much all I need, but a grunter would be handy from time to time.

Good link Andy. Thanks.
Stop Global Whining.
Mik

Post by Mik »

Andy, I've sent you an email regarding your winch kit :)
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1990 RRC Vogue SE