Fitting door seals???

Technical questions and answers
jonnyboy

Fitting door seals???

Post by jonnyboy »

Now that I have go the heap roadworthy I thought i would try to make it a bit more hospitable to drive. I have replaced all my door seals with one ptece defender style ones and they are great. The last thing I need to do is fit the bottom seals. I have new ones for the 4 front doors but have no idea how they are supposed to fit.

They are a length of right angle rubber with a metal stiffner embeded in one side. I am assuming the side with the metal stifener attaches to the sill but where? any pics would be welcome.

Cheers

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

iff i were you i would not fit them.
when i wanted to replace them, i found out my doorframes were rotten because of the construction of these bottom-doorrubbers.

on the doorframes a strip of metal was riveted together with this rubber.
water got in between, i need not say there was no rust protection whatever, and my doorframes were only at this spot paperthin.
great engineering!
i haven't had them fitted for 2 or three years.
i cannot be bothered fiting them as the car is draughty anyway and the heat wont leave through this gap as there is no f..... heater in the car either.

in case your wife/girlfriend starts moaning about draughts or lack of heating, don't worry, change the subject to engine- or gearbox noise! :D :D
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hmm, I didn't know the defender door seals fitted! I have changed mine twice now by using that stuff that comes off a roll... Not nice since the corners are broken and you always get wind noise!! I'm thinking that the defender door seals are going to be soo damn expensive :x
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

To fit defender door seals you have to cut/grind of the lip off where the seals attach. Mine were all missing when I bough the vehicle so it worked out only a bit more expensive to buy defender seals rather than a full set of series seals. I thought about going to a scrap yard and pulling some seals of cars but never got around to it.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website