Off Roading

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
Andy Dawe

Off Roading

Post by Andy Dawe »

http://www.andydawe.co.uk/vids/keeley.mov This is a 5 meg file so be patient.

Just had a weekend in Wales. The vid is my wife driving the V8 at Clyro the Camel trophy training site. It has some serious hill climbs and decents. We also drove a few quality byways and played in bonnet deep water. The V8 didn't miss a beat.

Anyone fancy a forum off road day. After christmas. I now have a contact for access to quality welsh forest.
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

I may well be interested, depends where in Wales it is.

Tom.
1988 V8 110 CSW.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Clyro is Near Hay on Wye. there are two sites, one of which is rather extreme but excellent fun by all accounts.
firemanshort

Passenger?

Post by firemanshort »

I will be spending my holidays in Halifax, West Yorkshire with my wife's family. So you know I would be looking for any excuse to jump out of the house and drive 6 hours to Wales :lol:

If you put something together for between Christmas and New Years then foward it to me. I would love to come and play ballast or pusher or winch cable puller and such.

(Sorry, my Stage One will not fit in the hand luggage and will have to stay home.)

-Firemanshort
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

just a couple of clips from my trip to wales.

http://www.andydawe.co.uk/vids/clips.mov
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hey Fireman,

There are companies in the UK that will rent you a defender 110 - if your wife gets to spend Christmas with the family surely you deserve a 110 for Christmas?

I can dig out the info for you if you want it - my wife wouldn't let me rent one on our last trip, actually she said "if that's what you want," but her body language said otherwise. I had to settle for a Touareg and a quick half day laning with an old friend who now writes for LRO.

Alan
firemanshort

Rental 110's

Post by firemanshort »

Definately send me information on renting a D110 in the UK suitable for taking on a green lane or the like.

Also - sounds like your Toureg trip is something that the wife I might enjoy together - any details on that?

<sorry for total thread hi-jack>

-Firemanshort
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I think that you are in the right place to ask about laning in England - most of these guys can give you first hand knowledge of the local laning situation.

I am only familiar with the lanes in the south (well I was when I lived there), but someone here will be able to give you good tips for the area local to your trip. Check out LRO, they usually do a write up on the lanes they have recently driven. Better yet you might be able to join Andy - if you have seen his videos you will know it's worth tagging along, I just wish I could join in.

I will dig out the info on defender rentals and send it to you - I know it's around here somewhere.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Well I was thinking about arranging a Stage one Day after Xmas. Need to get a poll of numbers. It's not worth it unles you get at least 6+ vehicles the site rental is about 200quid for sole use. We could invite some non stage one owners along. I can set up a tea and snacks tent with bacon rolls on the go all day.etc etc. B&B is cheap locally. You never know Bumpkin could bring his truck full of spares and we could buy em off him...Anyway just a thought.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Check out LRO, they usually do a write up on the lanes they have recently driven.

Unfortunately the success of Mags like LRO showing which byways to drive has a negative knock on affect. I spoke to the rights of way officer for Powys, Wales. He explained at weekends he sends out walkers who count the traffic on byways. On saturday a well known and published route got 74 cars driving down it with one of the groups 35 cars in size. We witnessed a nobber who decided the byway was not challenging enough. He decided to drive across a long grassed bog and got completely stuck requiring 3 cars to winch him out the resulting ground damage was incredible. Wales has lost 80% of it's rights of way since October. I do fear it will lose more if this continues.. Oh well rant over.