General Questions

Technical questions and answers
arcticrover

General Questions

Post by arcticrover »

I am trying to source a starter for my V8. Anyone know who sells them? The problem I am having is when I turn the ignition, sometimes I just get a starter sound, but nothing beyond that. The battery is fully charged and there is spark, but the engine doesn't even try to tick over. Other times, it starts right up (usually when it is warm). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it starts (say it starts on the fifth turn one time and the second turn the next time).

The other problem I have is that while parked and running, the engine runs quite strongly. However, once I put it under load or drive over 40kph for thrity seconds or so, it starts to bog down and loses power. I pulled the sediment and found that my gas tank is providing rusty gas (complete with rust silt and chunks). Before I run out and just replace the tank, could rusty gas and a clogged filter be the only problem if the engine runs strongly otherwise, or is there something else to consider?
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

For the first question i would check solinoid and earth straps before i buy a 70 Pound Starter motor. Cant help you with the gas thing.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
db
Site Admin

Post by db »

If the engine is cranking over OK but not firing it sounds like the starter itself is fine.

The coil is actually 6V and is fed via a dropper resistor. A secondary contact on the solenoid supplies full battery volts direct to the coil during cranking (probably about 9 or 10V due to the starter load) which boosts the spark. It might be worth checking the wiring for this, particularly down by the starter/solenoid where it's likely to get wet from road spray and heated by the exhaust and thus corrode.

The other problem does sound like it could be fuel starvation. Probably also worth checking that the vacuum advance piping is OK since that could affect the ignition timing under varying load.

David
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I will check on these. Thanks!