lots of questions...Carb and oil related

Technical questions and answers
firemanshort

lots of questions...Carb and oil related

Post by firemanshort »

I was looking at my oil filter area today. I noticed a small diaphragm arrangement coming off of it to an electric wire. I assume this is the electric oil pressure sensor for a pressue gauge. Am I right?

There was another plug with an electric wire coming from it which I assumed was the idiot light pressure switch. Am I right?

Then there was a third plug with an electrical spade connector with no wire on it. Is this an oil temperature sensor? Is the Stage One supposed to have an oil temperature gauge? Mine does not - not even an empty dash hole to indicate where one might have gone. What's up with this?

Also - I took apart one of my Zenith carbs today and cleaned it up. I was looking for a stuck float or some other reason why the electric fuel pump never shuts off. After reassembly, the air diaphram one thatone carb does not open up with the throttle. The one I did not touch still seems to be working fine (naturally). I can not figure out what I re-assembled incorrectly. Any ideas on common faults?

Lastly - the fabled carb restrictors that are present on the Stage One. Should those be visable between the carb and the intake manifold? So if I took the carb off of the intake manifold and there was nothing but a big old empty hole there then someone came in before me and un-restricted the carb. Is that right?

I will understand this thing one day...

-Firemanshort
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

You are right about the connectors on the oil pump. They are for the idiot light, oil temp and presure gauges. I have a presure gauge and a hole for a temp gauge but no wiring for each. The genuine gauges and sensors are silly money so I am probably hoing to use some after market ones.

The restrictors are plugs that have 4 small holes in them so if there is a 2 inch hole then they have been removed.

I have recently stripped both my carbs and when I refitted them it ran like crap so I doubt I put tham back together correctlyt. The V8 manual does go though how to strip and reassemble them if you can get hold of a copy.
Last edited by jonnyboy on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
foggydave

Post by foggydave »

The electrical fuel pump never swiches off
There is a fuel bypass line that takes any excess fuel not fed into the carbs back to the fuel tank
This is one of the reasons why you never get vapour lock in a stage 1 as you do in other models

The oil pressure gauge hole should be in the middle of the lower dash board in the center just underneath the angular plate that holds the fog and emergency indicator switches