LT95 whirring noise

Technical questions and answers
jonnyboy

LT95 whirring noise

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi all,

Having finally got my engine running sweetly and having an exhaust that doesnt blow means I can now hear the various other noises coming from the vehicle.

There is a whirring noise coming from the front of the gearbox that only goes away when the clutch is depressed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
primsil

Post by primsil »

oil pump for gearbox? Gearbox oil level is correct, correct grade? Bearings.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

Mine does somthing like that.
In neutral with the clutch depressed all is quiet but if i let the clutch up it makes the whirring noise.

I thought it was normal, havng been like that since i bought it.
1988 V8 110 CSW.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Aparently its the input shaft bearing so it looks like a strip down if I want to fix it. Although for the moment it can wait.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
martin hughes

Post by martin hughes »

mines just the same, I can live with it!
1982 109 V8 Station Wagon
1965 88 Short Wheel Base
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Yep. Same here and i'm just about to do a 600 mile round trip to Billing in her.Bin like it for 2 years since i owned her.It is gradually getting worse though. I think its bearings.
Terryu
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
dennis

Post by dennis »

If it goes as soon as pressure is put on the clutch then its probably the thrust bearing. Most older cars I've had do it. Wouldn't worry too much until its noisy when you change gear.. :shock:
Dennis & Eryl
Ex RAF V8 110 Soft top
Dual Fuel
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/de ... 010002.jpg
Landyboy

Post by Landyboy »

Mines exactly the same - been like it for a year now
Ex B.B.C. Stage 1 V8 Hard top - Now Soft top!!!!!!!
110 County station wagon
Discovery 2 V8
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

mines the same, but I have got noise when driving in the first 3 gears, but goes quiet in top. I think mine is the layshaft bearings. I have got a spare box to drop in at some point, so will see if it is quieter then.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
djam1

Post by djam1 »

Guys mine was the same so I had it pulled down it cost me $3000 Aud and its now perfect, however when I look at the parts that came out i came to the conclusion that it probably would never have failed these are a very strong box I think they would drive you insane with noise but probably never fail

IMHO
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Having read this post and having similar noises (whirring off load ie in gear going down hill) I figured oh well id see what happens.

Reverse has now failed, (all forward gears ok) which made for an amusing reversing technique of pushing the car back on my own.

Fortunatly I took the oportunity of buying a spare box (having had similar experience with my 1958 2A)

I'm now in the process of swapping boxes, and have had much joy, and pleasure with rusty bolts and infinite dirt showers, and countless eye baths. (f*&^ing, B~#?ocks, piece of ... etc etc.)

How I laughed when I punch myself in the face with a pair of pliers trying to get a split pin out. ouch that stings!

Some pearls of wisdom from a chum of mine who does this alot

With the replacement box out its a very easy to take a few pre-emptive measures

1. Put in a new clutch -
2. Put gear stick in replacement box get a mate to turn/resist the output shaft - Try all gears. (you dont want to put a duff box in)
3. Replace oil seals on front output shaft and rear output (hand brake drum) shaft. (if the gear box has been sat around a while a few miles down the road oil may come spewing out every where if they are perished.
(ive had the front one go on my gearbox about 3 months ago - A real pain in the posterier. Really awkward getting the drive shaft bolts out)
4. May as well put new handbrake shoes on as well.

Regards

Ginga
Theres always a way !
KR

Post by KR »

primsil wrote:oil pump for gearbox? Gearbox oil level is correct, correct grade? Bearings.
Oil pump? :?
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

I had the noise as well for a month or so, and today it failed already..

Driving back home after work on the motorway the transmission just suddenly failed. It jumped out of high gearing in Neutral. Managed to get home in low gear, but still don't know what the problem is after opening up the top cover. Will see if I can find something tomorrow, but something tells me things aren't to be very hopefull..
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Problem fixed..
Bearings, rings and shims on the intermediate transmission shaft were completely gone.. Luckily I had an extra LT95 box out of a 101 from which I could use for the parts, only the high gear is different so I didn't use that one.

Now runs like a dream again, and that within a day! Couldn't be happier! 8)

I have put a few pic's from it on http://manfred2266.fotopic.net/c266670.html
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

i hope you checked the endfloat! if if there's too much or too little space it will be worn again in a short while.

i had this when i put a new shaft in the transferbox with the old shims and new bearings, and also I changed the high gear.